Better

Stand by for the standard whine about the heat and humidity of an Ottawa summer day.  I used to say that growing up in the tropics I could handle it, but Ottawa has cured me of that vanity.  Yes, tropical humidity is oppressive, but in the city… No.  Just no.  Even Jerry is lying around lethargically and sucking up all the cool breeze he can manage… he’s even avoiding our laps because it seems to be too hot for him.  Don is experiencing a lot of pain today; walking was difficult and he joked he’d have to head down to the car about half an hour ahead of me so he can get there so we can leave on time.  I don’t know what to do (because, of course, he doesn’t do doctors) and the massager is going quite often.  My comment was that his legs are bored by too much baseball, but he ignores me.

I apologize for skipping the last few days.  I was far too upset by the personal worker issue and couldn’t focus.  It annoys me that this bothers me so much!  It seems simple to me that if your client expresses a strong disapproval of your choices then you should work to address that and not double down on your obstinacy.  It really should not annoy me to the point that it interferes with my sleep because then everything  else is upset!  I explained to my doctors about the issue with the support workers, and the nurse has called the provincial coordinator (as did I) to try to find a solution; we all left voicemails so now we wait.  I got another man today… at this point it feels like half the male careworkers in Ottawa have been in to watch me bathe.  I had to report one for a very offensive and strong body odour and recommended that they remind workers about the importance of personal hygiene and the use of effective deodorants.  I have to admit that I felt much better after I spoke with them and they offered solutions.  Back in chemo on Thursday; my numbers are ok (not as good as before the last round) and I’m officially (and frustratingly) 44.5kg — which translates as 98lbs.  That, I will point out quite emphatically, is NOT a weight for an adult human.  It’s barely acceptable for a teenager!  Something must be done! (Lar, you’re up!) One of my doctors has suggested that I try CBD oil, so I’ll get a small bottle and try it for a bit.  It’s supposed to be great for increasing appetite and improving sleep, so… we will see.  And he’s recommended one with a low THC component so I don’t have some of the questionable reactions.

I had a conversation with my niece on the weekend, and she informed me that “Auntie, did you know that birds came from dinosaurs?  And people came from monkeys?”  I said yes, and did not correct her on the difference between the larger primates and monkeys because there’s still time for her to learn that as she gets older.  My nephew wasn’t interested in the conversation; he was trying to figure out how to squirt me with his water pistol and most annoyed that his mom pointed out that it would just mean that he’d destroy her phone!  😝 They want to know if I can come help them “fish” (plastic toys in a backyard water table) because they have lots of fish and they could show me how to catch them.  Then I was told about how to do a cartwheel, and I reminded my niece that she would learn and she would need to practice to get good at it.  My nephew wanted to show me his gymnastics tumbling skills, but was discouraged as they were outside on patio stones.  We haven’t told them yet, but I’ve booked to travel to them at the end of August for 3 weeks, so they should have fun.  I wouldn’t believe any of my complaints then about being a jungle gym or a reading robot or monkey bars or anything else… just so you’re aware 😁

I’m off to find something to eat… I’m not having great luck this week with assistance.  I’d found a new cleaner who was due on Monday; she never came nor called nor responded to my call… then I got someone to agree to do some cooking for me; they were due yesterday, asked to reschedule for today and still haven’t shown up nor called nor responded to texts… we’ll figure out something, I’m sure.  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chemo

The surprise!

Gone again