Canada Day

It’s Canada’s 157th birthday today!  We have an absolutely beautiful deep blue, cloudless sky with a fresh breeze and low humidity to celebrate.  It’s the kind of weather that you could be out in for hours (as long as you’re wearing a decent hat, sunglasses and an SPF of 15+)  There is a risk of sunburn if you’re out too long, but it’s postcard perfect!  Jerry is happily getting into mischief today, and thankfully our balconies were changed last year so he can’t throw his ball over the edge and into the parking lot!  Don’s watching the signing deals for athletes, and I’m not.

I slept well last night, and I managed to eat a few more things in the last couple of days.  Today I spent a little energy to cook some Italian sausages (it is BBQ season after all!  Although mine were done on the stove as BBQs aren’t allowed in a high rise) and had one as my lunch.  There may be cake later; I’ll have to make some room first 😆 I’d heard rumours, but didn’t believe them until today… I bent over to pick up something on the floor, my back went into a spasm and moving hurts right now!  I had heard from a friend that they’d put their back out by moving awkwardly to pick up a pastry, but it seems that I’ve reached the age where that’s a possibility!  Worry not, it won’t last; I’m resting and I took a pain killer.  I’ll make my way to bed in a bit and it will all be great.

As part of today’s celebration, the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) celebrated its centenary.  Living as close to Parliament Hill as I do, I made the lengthy trek out to my balcony to watch the flyover.  They flew a variety of planes, some dating back to WWII (like the ones in the photo) up to some of the newer fighters.  There’s a new building on the next block that’s currently blocking my view of a lot, and I’ve been hurling invectives at the planning committee, the developer and my area representatives for allowing it to exceed the height limits!  (Traditionally, no building in Ottawa was to be higher than the Peace Tower, so 20 floors was the limit.  Then the planning committee started approving applications for higher ones, coincidentally at the time that the Mayor got a highly paid job as a consultant with a developer and several councillors moved into high priced properties.  Not that I’m saying that they’re corrupt or complicit…)  I used to see all the flyover activities but now I’m limited to a narrow ‘window’ where it’s hard to capture decent shots of the teams.

Since most of the events have moved off the Hill due to restoration work, the traffic in my area is reduced, but I can still see crowds walking towards the Hill or the Flats and there are many cars parked on the streets.  They’ll be there for most of the day until tonight’s fireworks display, which is now not in my viewing area.  I’ve also been listening to the Jazz Festival from my balcony for the last few nights.  Admittedly not the best seats, but still we can hear the music.

To my Canadian friends, wherever you are, Happy Canada Day!  Break out the red-and-white, the maple leaves, the Canadian tuxedo, buffalo flannel, beavers, maple syrup and hockey sticks.  Today’s the day that we’re all as Canadian as a hockey loving beaver drinking maple syrup, scarfing Canadian bacon and poutine while riding our dogsleds across the tundra, eh!  (Did I manage to get in most of the stereotypes?  Sorry!)  Party on!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chemo

The surprise!

Gone again