Rain

It’s been pouring rain all day; the remains of the hurricane as she pours out the rest of her water.  Jerry is right now being very noisy because his worker is here and he wants to play; he doesn’t approve of her working and looking after me.  Don’s having a lot of aches today probably because of the weather and he’s been suffering quietly.  

I slept very well last night, thankfully.  I’m hoping that it will help with tonight as I’m planning an early evening and have my alarm set for 6am.  I had several small meals today — I’m actually hungry, which is delightful!  I’ve got a frozen home cooked meal ready for tomorrow, so at least I don’t have to worry about eating when I get home.  There’s another one for Friday as well, as I know I’ll need a few days coverage to keep me going until we cook some more.  I’ve got ideas of things I’d like to make, so now it’s just time, energy and availability of my support worker.

I’m in the midst of a great binge of 1950s ‘catastrophic science fiction’ and am thoroughly enjoying it.  I did sully my enjoyment with one of the penny dreadful “scantily clad beautiful alien queen seduces our stalwart hero” types and couldn’t finish it.  The prose was purple, to say the least!  I prefer the more philosophical ones, where there’s some discussion of the long term implications of the disaster, and I am rather sorry that the author opted not to provide at least an epilogue giving an idea of life post-disaster.  I realized (after having done some minimal research) that most of the authors were war veterans and the scars of conflict echo through their books more convincingly than their imitators.  

I have to admit a deep admiration for those who can convincingly create new worlds, species, cultures and mindsets working out of our limited human view.  Children do a great job, drawing orange skies, red grasses, purple rivers, and so on, until we convince them about the “right” colours.  Holding on to the ability to create, for instance, floating trees or sky islands and building a civilization around that is just fantastic.

I’ll head off now to have supper which my worker was able to prepare despite Jerry’s best efforts to get underfoot and create havoc.  There may not be a post tomorrow; it depends on my energy level.  Good night


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chemo

The surprise!

Gone again