Avis

Thunderstorms in progress!  I love watching the lightning arcing across the sky, although I do avoid getting wet from blowing rain.  Some loud booms to punctuate the storm, and I’m happy to be indoors and dry instead of getting drenched.  Jerry does not approve of getting wet, and had parked himself on my lap to get cuddles (block my view of the TV and sit on my iPad for good measure)  He spent most of the morning there while I watched the Mass, and then complained that I didn’t have snacks for him to share.  He’s now crashed on the sofa with Don, who is “watching” the endless, boring game that fills summer.  How anyone could call cricket boring after watching that stuff boggles my mind!  At least in cricket you know a test match is a maximum of 5 days, and that’s it… this game, they play over and over for about 15 games and score maybe twice?  Lots of discussion about statistics, and nothing actually happening on the field… Boring!

My appetite has gone into hiding again.  It annoys me, really, except that I don’t feel hungry, so I’m reliant on my alarm to remember to shove food into my mouth.  I was looking at meal services for seniors/disabled, and there are a couple that deliver frozen meals for a fairly reasonable price, but I’ve tried them before and they taste… bland is the politest term.  They’re smaller portions (senior sized) so that I’d probably be able to eat a whole one, but the choices are limited.  I was also preparing a grocery order, then ran out of enthusiasm fairly quickly; I don’t have much energy for cooking, and the frozen meals are uninspiring and I don’t want to throw things away.  In between all this, ordering takeout is unsustainable so I really have to find a workable option.  

I was having a conversation with my godchildren and I apologize, but I really need to say the following to the kids (the little ones can skip this for the moment, but it may come in handy later in life)  I’ll start by saying that I don’t pretend to be an expert on relationships, but I’ve learned a few things in my life.

  • Do not spend a lot of time on a relationship which is one-sided.  If your partner does not make you their priority, show them the door.  If you’re the one who is always (for example) planning dates, ensuring that they get to/from work/home safely (“But I don’t have a car!” Is not a valid excuse!  Public transportation exists, and you can use it too instead of relying on my child to be your chauffeur!) and you always have to go to them, then they need to be on the other side of the door.
  • Be aware of how your partner speaks to you as compared to their friends.  It is not funny to always make comments like “You’re so dumb!” Or “You can’t find your way out of a paper bag, can you?”  Plus, a lack of sincere compliments is a red flag 🚩— too many “Is that what you’re wearing?” (When the outfit in question is conservative) is a warning.  
  • Do not (and I can’t stress this enough) permanently share your location or agree to be tracked.  It’s not “I’m worried about you and I just want you to be safe” — it’s manipulative and controlling.  By all means, share during a drive or on the way home if the weather is bad, but not all day every day.  If you’re that concerned about them getting home, go with them (and take public transportation back to your house.)
  • Be wary of “love bombing” after an argument, especially if the argument included name calling, insults, threats to leave or “you see what you made me do?”  Show them the exit.
  • Someone who truly loves you will uplift you, give you the freedom to be yourself, trust you and encourage you to be the best version of yourself.  They will praise your accomplishments, support you through difficult times and share  in your excitement.  They will also be willing to spend time with your friends, be happy that you have outside interests and will welcome you to join their friends.  

As I said, I’m sorry for having to say this, I was listening to how the partner of one of my godchildren was behaving, and I wanted to reach through the ether and knock them senseless.  (Not my godchild, obviously)  This is someone I distrust and would prefer that they were not known to me, my family, friends, vague acquaintances or pets!  I feel rather like I’ve failed my godchild by not protecting them from this person.  I know we’re all entitled to make our own mistakes, but I also would prefer to shield them from extra harm.  I hope that things improve dramatically for them.

I’m otherwise ok, and trying to figure out what I’ll eat for dinner tonight.  Sadly, that’s a recurrent theme, and I am working on addressing that.  Good night!



Comments

  1. Bless night great advice ....you hope uou finds great routine about happy meals yo nourish znd strength en mind and body yes....rough earthquake scare lasted night ...he is more weak and taking his time moving around..prayers next clinic day he will know surgery date and on the blessed road of recovery in Jesus name ..he is eating and deleting well thank God ...you too take love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!