Hospital day 4 - scans

I just liked this photo and it cheered me up.  Thought you’d like it also.  Another day where I was able to look out at the clouds and rain as they darkened the skies and wet everything.  I made a mental note to try a night photo tonight as it’s an interesting scene… I video called my boys today.  One was very happy to see and talk with me, while the other pretended that I was not there, turned his back and blocked the screen as much as he could.  Little precious.  Apparently tonight begins another set of games as it’s the opening night of the CFL… and there are rituals to go with that.  Speaking of games, I heard this joke in a waiting room today:  Toronto will have to change the name of its hockey team to something less offensive… apparently Leafs means “Losers Even After Fifty Seasons” and that’s just too cruel for a team!

I had another broken night, because of the preparation for the colonoscopy today.  I did sulk at the nurses and doctors and whined that they were being needlessly cruel by making me drink that stuff, taking me off solid food and then traumatizing me with tubes and they all just had a good laugh at me.  Apparently I’m not a good whiner 😆 The scope team decided that I needed a second bottle of the preparation to drink — 6L in about 15 hours — and even I couldn’t handle that much.  

Anyway, the scans were done, and Praise the Lord, the scariest of the options mentioned was eliminated.  We still don’t know exactly what caused the drop in my numbers, and there were a couple of biopsies taken, so now we wait for those results.  I’ll likely be here until maybe Tuesday as they want to keep me under observation.  For reasons best known to Herself, God had decided that this is a route for me to take, and mine is not to reason why, mine is to try to accept with good grace what has been ordained for me.  Which is not to say that I don’t have moments of wondering why me?  And What am I supposed to be learning from this?  Meanwhile I’m thankful that things aren’t as scary as we’d feared, that there are still potential treatments, and most of all for my very caring team who have been so supportive.

I’m happy to report, though, that after the scans were over I got actual solid food to eat and returned empty dishes to the kitchen.  My appetite is returning and with no concerns about food preparation, I’m apparently better able to eat a full meal (I’d still like to get back to eating food with flavour, but baby steps)

I’m going to ask the nurse for a sleeping aid tonight as I don’t anticipate that I’ll have to do much in terms of preparation or anything so it would be nice to have a restful sleep.  It’s lights out at 9:30pm, possible blood work at 10, vitals check at midnight and 6am, and blood work at 5:30 or 7am.  I was amused to find that all of the nurses today were Haitian, and we had a lot of laughs complaining about the food and talking about our countries in French.  It’s nice to have a team with a sense of humour.

That’s it for tonight.  I’ll update you as the results come in, and we will continue praying for ongoing improvement in my condition.  Thanks again for the Good Wishes it’s so nice to get those envelopes!  And to answer a frequently asked question, yes, I am allowed visitors.  Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!