Hospital update

This is the view from my hospital room.  I’m in 6E, gym 2, bed 2 — yes, it’s the gym for physiotherapy as the hospital is FULL. I spent last night in the emergency area, and didn’t sleep well due to the noise and lights — and the fight that broke out, resulting in the arrest of about 10 people in one family — plus the screamer a few beds down… this morning the nurse coming on shift was able to find me some ear plugs so I slept for a few hours.  Marvellous sleep!

Quick update on the boys… it’s super hot, 37C and humid, and Don has been texting that he can’t breathe or move around easily.  Jerry is surprisingly energetic for this heat, although they’re both drinking a lot.  I’m worried about him, as his breathing gets really bad in the humidity and he tends to not eat… but I can’t do much from here.

As for what’s happening… Yesterday I went in for my routine clinic appointment before chemo (which was scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday)  I did my usual blood work and went to the waiting area.  I was having lots of trouble breathing, and I felt very weak; so much so that I needed a wheelchair to get about 15m!  The nurse called me in to the little room, checked my weight (I’ve lost another 3lbs) and he took my vitals. My blood pressure was distressingly low, and then I got a call from the lab saying that my blood haemoglobin was also dangerously low.  My oncologist and I looked at my scans (which, incidentally were pretty good; several of my tumours have shrunk a bit, and that was cause for celebration) and he was concerned about my blood work results.  Basically, they indicate that there is an underlying bleeding somewhere that we haven’t seen, and given my results, I was going to be admitted to the hospital that day for transfusions (I received 3 units overnight) and a scan to see if we could find why and where I’m bleeding.  So I was taken from the cancer centre to the emergency department which is where admission had to happen, and that explains last night’s message.

I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink anything last night or most of today as we thought I might need a procedure.  Thankfully that order was lifted at 1pm today, just as I thought I’d faint from hunger… The good thing is that after the first of the 3 units of blood, I started to feel more like myself (detractors will be ignored! 🤪) and by the time we’d finished all of them, my strength had returned.  My vitals have improved, and while my blood pressure remains low, it’s in the usual range for me.  We did the scan this afternoon, and I am waiting to hear the results and talk to the doctor.  I’m praying for something that’s easy to fix.  I’m able to walk around again more easily and I’m not feeling weak or out of breath, which is spectacular.  Last night I needed a wheelchair and an attendant to get to the bathroom, today I’m walking myself like a big girl!  I got supper, and ate everything on the tray!  Be warned, though, there will be the usual complaints about hospital food, just so you’re aware.

If anyone would like to send messages, you may use the hospital site here:  Good Wishes  they will print them out and deliver to me for free. I’m feeling very blessed that so many people have messaged me and are praying for my recovery.  Thank you all so much.  As a wrap up, here’s a fun fact… there’s a fire drill and alarm plays the tune “I don’t want to set the world on fire”  Less jarring than the usual siren!  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!