Hospital day 7

It’s almost a week since I’ve been admitted.  I’m getting used to having meals delivered three times a day, and having housekeeping and being woken up at 4am to have my blood pressure checked and all those hospital things… Jerry was excited to see me today when I was talking to them… he came up to the screen to kiss me, and his little stump was a blur!  Don is fine; he’s taking advantage of my absence to order his favourite Chinese meals in quantities sufficient to feed a family of 6 — or provide him with 3 meals!  He’s got a decent appetite, thankfully.

Late yesterday I reported to the nurse that I had a sore throat and was feeling feverish… so as a reward I was swabbed for covid (negative!) and moved into isolation.  I did develop a fever and runny nose, so I’m better kept away from other patients.  I’m now in room 6231, further along the hall from the ward; it’s private and has the same stunning view, although I can watch the MedEvac helicopters landing easily.  I had the best sleep since admission last night, due I think to the quiet.

I’m at the stage where I’m griping about the hospital food more.  It’s definitely that I’m feeling better, although there are some highlights — like this morning’s omelette and scone.  I wasn’t feeling great, so I didn’t eat lunch, and dinner had a soggy breaded fish… <sigh>. Thankfully some friends dropped by and brought some cherries, so I had a large handful for dinner and have more for tomorrow.  I also had 2 cups of HOT tea brought for me, which is such a luxury!  

I went for a short walk this afternoon, just to get some exercise.  I’m able to walk longer distances more comfortably, and I just feel pleasantly tired as opposed to breathless and weak!  The doctors continue to try to figure out what’s going on; there are several theories, but no definitive answers yet.  We agreed that I will be here until they are reasonably sure that I’m stable, as nobody wants me to go home only to return to the ER the next day (waiting times in excess of 10 hours!!) 

That’s about it; I was supposed to be in Toronto this week, and I’m sorry that I’m not, but honestly I don’t think that it would have gone well for me to have travelled.  Another time.  The nice thing about having my own room is that I choose when to turn off the lights, but I’m still feeling a little under the weather so I’ll just make my “good night” call to the boys and cuddle under the blankets.  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!