Hospital day 13

It’s almost 2 weeks since I’ve been here, and I’m getting quite used to being here.  I admit that my view has a lot to do with that, because it’s healing to be able to look out and see natural light and all the trees in the area.  Green is so refreshing to the eyes, isn’t it?  Jerry is at the stage where he’s pretending that I don’t exist.  He doesn’t react to my voice, actively turns away if Don shows him the screen and tries to get him off the phone quickly.  He will be very confused when I get home, as he’ll try to simultaneously hug and ignore me 😆  Don’s team made a huge comeback to win last night, 8-1.  It was a great score, but ultimately it’s futile as the odds of them winning the next 3 game in a row are lower than winning mega millions in a lottery!  Baseball is also done, leaving football for the next few months. 😔 

I saw the doctor this morning, and he said that he really doesn’t have anything to discuss.  My readings are all stable and (while still low) have improved a lot since I’ve been here.  I’m again on minimal medications, as we’ve weaned off some of the “hospital drugs” and we’re changing one from an oral to an injection, but otherwise my meds will be few.  It also seems that one medication that I was taking was unnecessary— it was to treat a symptom that was caused by the just-diagnosed issue and not by the cancer as we’d thought.  Anything for a simpler life!  The doctor joked that at this point I’m taking up a bed that they need for an actually sick person, so once I have a small procedure tomorrow, could I please go home?  I laughed and agreed, and we’d all be very happy if I stayed out of the hospital for a couple years, please and thanks.  

I have no words to express my gratitude for being able to go back home relatively quickly!  The team has done a spectacular job of assessing and diagnosing me, of coordinating across (at last count) 6 different departments, and generally being amazing.  My nurses have (with one exception) been kind, attentive, caring and just wonderful humans.  One takes me for my daily walks, twice a day, to ensure that I remain stable.  She even picked up a pack of potato chips for me when I had no appetite!  One of the care workers pops in whenever she’s on shift, even if she’s not assigned to my ward, just to check on me and spend a few moments chatting.  The cleaners stop in for a quick chat, and we’ve been talking about how challenging it is to buy a house in this market.  The food service people realize that my appetite is not the greatest, and I’d often find a small treat added to my tray (like ice cream, or a non-high-fibre cereal for snacking)  The spiritual care team have even been by every other day for a quick word (which also meant that I got communion almost every day, too, because I only decline if I’m not allowed anything by mouth.)  They really have been superstars.

Thanks everyone for your many truly excellent suggestions for gifts.  You’re all so innovative on these things!   So today I’ve been scouring the internet to find gift baskets… I think I’ll order a fruit tray with cookies, as they’re shareable and probably safe for everyone.  I’m just a little concerned that some of my people might not get if they’re off shift when it arrives… The hospital also has what they call a Guardian Angel/Ange gardien program (now called the Gratitude Award) where you can recognize outstanding care from any staff member.  I thought that perhaps I could do that for the exceptional caregivers, but then I learnt that the minimum donation is $50, and given how many people I’d like to thank, that will add up really quickly!  So more thought is needed for this one.  

A friend and former colleague dropped by last night, bringing me a stack (6!!) books as a “stave off boredom” care package from his wife.  I was very excited as it included a couple that I have on my library list but they’re still a few weeks out.  I’m trying to maintain a peaceful home existence, and Don has this bizarre idea that I “have enough books” and would throw a fit if I got another (fifth) bookcase.  So I’ve been downloading books from the library and buying very few.  A couple of lovely friends have added to my collection and I have a small “to read” pile by my chair.  I don’t think that there’s such a thing as “too many” books, but I do understand that storage space becomes an issue… I tend to think of myself as a book dragon; who sleeps on a pile of books instead of gold and who’s happiest when there are new, unread books mixed among old favourites.  If anyone would like to draw an image of me as a book dragon on a pile of books with a book in one hand and a cup of tea in the other, I will instantly make it my profile picture!

OK, my “dinner” has arrived and there’s a bowl of strawberries winking at me from the tray, so I’m off to eat them and have a cup of tea.  I don’t feel like eating anything else, but I may try some of the mashed sweet potatoes.  Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!