Melting…

It is sooooo hot!!  I’m craving an ice cold cider or spiked lemonade, which is not a good thing, as they both contain alcohol, which is on my “restricted” list.  Pity, because a frosty pineapple cider is so cooling on a boiling day (I know, I know, a hot cup of tea is better for managing body temperature, but the ice is so refreshing!)  Jerry is not happy with the heat, and has had to stop rushing around chasing his ball — which we’ve been refusing to throw for him.  He’s drunk a lot of water today, which I had put in the freezer for a while to chill.  He spent more time sucking up the air from the fan than sitting on me, which lets you know how hot it is!  Don’s been sitting around less than half dressed because he said it’s too hot to wear clothes… I’m so not commenting!  I’m not copying him, I find it hotter when I’m not dressed.

I didn’t sleep well last night, probably because it was very muggy, even with the AC.  I finally dozed off around 4am, and got up just before 10 to take my morning meds.  The hospital changed my routine so that meds that I’d normally take at night they gave me in the morning, and they need to be taken within 2 hours of the time of the previous dose, so I can’t just shift to the evening.  It’s ok, at least they get done and out of the way!  My appetite is still not great, again due to the temperature.  I finished off the pelau that my friend had cooked for me (well, one container; there are more in the freezer.)  

I did the session last night with the diplomat, and we had a lively discussion.  The whole family joined in to ask questions on things to do in Trinidad, possible activities, their future neighbourhood, availability of foods, etc.  They seem to be really excited about the posting, and to moving to a less crowded country — the area where they live (part of a larger city) is over 3 million people.  My mind is always stunned by those kinds of numbers; I’m more used to smaller populations.  I did my best to be honest, even on uncomfortable subjects and challenging topics like politics, religion, race relations and sexuality.  I was pleased to see that they seemed even more excited when we wrapped up after over 2 hours.  One of the odder questions I got was “how do I make friends?”  It took me a moment to realize that the question was really, “will I be accepted by the locals?” We explored that a bit, touching on the universality of how to connect with others.  

It’s supposed to rain and thunder from tonight over the weekend.  I can’t pretend to be upset, as it will cool down a lot, plus it must rain on my birthday or life feels incomplete!  I haven’t decided yet how we’ll celebrate this year, so stand by!  Good night!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!