Hospital day 8

It was apparently a nippy 11C this morning, warming up to 13, although the forecast calls for warmer later.  This is a beach in Tobago, and frankly I’d like to be there!  I’m looking out at a cloudy sky and from my chair I can see the towers of downtown — I can’t see my condo, as it’s blocked by other high-rise buildings, but I know where it is.  On our calls today Jerry reverted to ignoring me, not even flicking an ear when I talked to him.  Don is very disappointed with the playoffs at the moment; his team has lost 2 games and needs to win 4 of the remaining 5 if they want to lift the Cup, but it seems highly unlikely.  Pity.

I have a grumble about the nurses in this area… they have largely been ignoring me, until today when I complained to the day nurse, who has checked up on me at least once an hour.  I didn’t sleep until about 4am because I was hungry, and having waited over an hour for a cup of water, I didn’t feel like battling for toast.  The night nurse was supposed to come take my vitals at midnight, I never saw her until shift change at 7am!  I’m happy to report that tonight’s dinner was hot, and almost tasty (made up for the wallpaper paste tasting pasta for lunch) and I did a good job on it.

This morning I woke up to a note on my board saying that I had a CT scan at 8:45.  Breakfast arrives at 8, so I thought I’d be able to eat before I had to go.  Nope.  The porter showed up at 7:50 and off I went.  I got back at 9:15 to a cold, soggy waffle and tea that was frigid.  The day nurse very kindly made me a hot tea, which made me feel better, and I ate some of the cherries my friends had left last night before taking a nap.  I was super cranky until after I’d napped 😁

We will be doing radiation therapy starting on Thursday, and then I’ll be monitored. My numbers have held steady since the last transfusion on Saturday, which is encouraging.  We agreed that I’ll stay in the hospital for a while until I’m fully stable — after the radiation I have to restart blood thinners which may cause issues, so we thought it was preferable to be treated as an inpatient where I’d be closely followed instead of having to go through the emergency department.  I’m a little bored, as I have nothing much to do except wait, but I have no desire to leave and then have to boomerang back here!  I’ve been able to go for walks every day, and I’m not out of breath, which is spectacular.  The Catholic chaplain has been to see me a few times, so we pray together, as has another friend who gladly prays with me.  I’ve got a couple of others who call or visit, so most days I have someone to talk to, but the hours are long, and there are only so many videos one can watch (the wifi drops often, so I’m left staring at a buffering image)

That’s about all for tonight.  I’ll keep you updated on progress as things happen, but I imagine that I’ll be here for at least another week.  That’s a long time without the puppy!  (And Don). Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!