Summer weekend

🎼🎢 I love a rainy night, such a beautiful sight 🎢. Today we had lovely, crop-soaking rain, which will be great for the corn, strawberries, raspberries, apples and all the other summer deliciousness that’s growing and ripening!  There were several moments when the rain came blowing in the window, but not for long.  So cool and refreshing; although I’m probably in the minority for enjoying that as it is the Canada Day long weekend and people would be hoping to be out basking in the summer sun.  Jerry amused me this morning.  I threw him a brushing treat this morning (he likes to chase them before eating) and it slid under my chair.  He contorted himself into all kinds of shapes to try to get it out, until I was able to recline a bit and he dove under and rescued it, looking so incredibly proud of himself!  He got many cuddles and praises for being a clever, persistent puppy.  Don is glued to that endless game where his team is about to be eliminated from the playoffs… he’s not having much luck this season with his teams!

For some reason I couldn’t fall asleep until after 3am… so I finally woke up at 11, and I’m about ready to head in for a long rest!  A very kind friend messaged me to say that they were heading to the grocery and to send my list.  I took all of 5 minutes to reply, and my friend delivered the items to me later.  The timing was good, as my care worker arrived about 5 minutes later and she put things away for me.  So I’ve got some extra food for a few days… I intend to have my care worker do some meal prep for me so I should have a few frozen dinners that taste good.  

I don’t know why people do this, unless they enjoy getting me wound up… please stop.  I’d prefer videos of miniature schnauzers/schnoodles being themselves!!  So someone sent me a TikTok video of this young girl (she says that she’s 22 and “doesn’t believe in formal education” and thus didn’t complete high school) whose entire channel is devoted to her spending 30-45 minutes each morning applying layers of makeup… that would be fine, and I’d ignore her otherwise, but then she did a video (and 2 follow ups) saying that conditions like celiac disease, lactose intolerance and other digestive problems are all fake, and they’re actually a result of allergies to tomatoes, which (according to her) are dangerous to humans.  Now, you all know my views on food, and the benefits of eating actual food (instead of highly processed items and avoiding fake foods) so to hear an empty-headed, literally uneducated, kid say these things and get over 1.5 million views and shares just makes my blood boil!  The downside of these platforms is that anyone can express any view, unchecked and then affect the lives and health of others.  Frankly, though, if you’re too lazy to fact check items before sharing, I have no sympathy for any ill consequences you experience!  (As an aside, I recently had to remind a university lecturer friend of mine that verifying data before sending out inaccurate links would keep them from looking stupid.). The ditz in the video I received got very angry at being fact checked and called out for her error, ranting about “old people who want to attack a 22-year old for sharing information that could save lives” (despite having zero evidence of what she was saying.)

I’m not directing traffic to her site, so I’m not sharing the link.  But she’s added to a distressingly long list of “influencers” who promote misinformation and double down on it when challenged.  I’ll point out that any “diet” that tells you to eliminate an entire category of food is not sustainable, nor is it healthy.  Unless you have a real medical condition, you should be eating from all the various food groups that exist.  Call me crazy, but I get my nutritional information from qualified sources and not random people who send me stuff saying that they have “miracle” cures that are “stronger than chemotherapy.”  Please.  Please.  Please.  I’m asking nicely — stop sending those things!  

On that note, I’m off to eat all of the high calorie stuff I can find in hopes of gaining a few extra ounces before my weigh-in on Tuesday!  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!