People are talking...


Ah... communication.  Something we all do everyday, so it's easy, right?  Well, here's what the people in Cubeyville have to say about that...

I don't believe in doing active communication.  Communication in an organization doesn't need to be managed, it happens naturally and organically, so we don't need to plan or ensure that there are clear messages to be sent out.  Everyone just does it.  Why have a communications plan?

It's not my job to communicate anything to anybody.  I don't need to tell anyone what I'm doing, it's my boss' job to pass on any relevant information about what I do to the rest of you.  Not that I let my boss know anything either.

I'm not sharing my work output with any of you!  I'll quit before I hand over my work to anyone! 

We've been working very hard to prepare this presentation on our project to tell everyone what this project is all about.  So we can get the buy-in and support of all the stakeholders.  No, we haven't asked for any input up to now because it really isn't relevant, we'll just make the presentation, which will be so spectacular and amazing that it will get them all to agree with something they've never seen before!

I don't see that it's part of my job to engage stakeholders.  I just do what I think should be done, and everyone should automatically know how this impacts them.  Why should I bother to tell them how changes affect them?

I don't see any reason to advise you that I'm spending out of your budget; I mean, I'm in charge of the biggest project in the area, and I'm running out of money, so I think that I should be able to spend your budget so that I can get training.  It's not like you're going to be able to spend the funds anyway, so I'll just use it up. 

What's that you're doing?  Oh, it's not directly related to my area, but I wasn't consulted on it, so I'm going to object to it on principle anyway.  I won't allow it to proceed until my ego is satisfied.

Sorry, I can't give you the update on what we presented last week, it's not ready yet.
We're going to need to engage everyone on this, so be sure to set up a working group and a consultation session, with a town hall meeting.  Make sure that there's an active presence of all employees and book it in a location where we can have maximum attendance, so that it's clear that we show all the staff exactly how important it is.  Have the managers stress the attendance.  What?  Oh, of course senior management won't be there.  They're too important to spare time to attend this sort of thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!