Nobody is poor who has friends

OK, I confess, I’ve been watching “It’s a Wonderful Life” again.  It’s one of my Christmas traditions, and I admit that I still get teary eyed at the end.  (I also cheer when the postmen deliver the bags of mail to the courthouse, when the Grinch’s heart grows and when Scrooge dances on Christmas morning.)  I do love Christmas traditions, and especially when they’re shared.

I know that there are people who consider this time to be “too commercial” and “fake” and “mushy”; I’m not one of them.  I do, though, resent when Christmas trees start showing up in July, and when seasonal songs are being played in mid-September.  I find that the rhythm of the traditions is as important as the celebration itself.  I still maintain that there are certain foods that one only has at Christmas, that there are things that speak of the season directly.  But I also maintain that it’s possible to keep Christmas the whole year through.

When we honour traditions, we connect ourselves with others – our neighbours, our ancestors and our children.  It’s important to keep some of the traditions alive, notably those that celebrate love and humanity.  It’s not necessary to slavishly follow the practices of others; we can create our own, but the key point is that the shared human experience helps us to remember that we are all part of a race of creatures on a common journey.

Our friends are such an important part of our lives that we arrange many events around them.  For some people, their family is also considered as part of their circle of friends, and these are definitely blessed people.  Some few have neither friends nor family, and for those of us rich with these, we should always extend our love to them.

This Christmas, I encourage you to participate in the ritual of celebration.  Whether this means attending a church service; sharing dinner with family or friends; volunteering or some other activity, participate in acknowledging the people in your life, and in thanking them for their influence. 

Wishing you a host of friends your whole life long.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!