When I was a child...

As I do from time to time, I'm re-reading some childhood favourites.  Some of them hold up very well (Chronicles of Narnia, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne of Green Gables) while others... not so much.

I always enjoyed Enid Blyton.  I objected to the characterization of her books as racist and sexist, and inappropriate for children.  They may be racist and sexist in some ways, but the elements that make them good are the stories and the believable interactions between the characters, and those are entirely appropriate for children.  Who hasn't wanted to be able to solve mysteries like the Famous Five?  I know that I went in search of secret passages when I visited old houses :)  I also enjoy reading the Chalet School series, which presents a very idyllic school environment, with locations in Austria, Switzerland and the west of England.  It definitely encouraged me to learn French and German, and started a love affair with languages.

Rereading these books now, I'm finding that what annoys me is what I perceive as favouritism.  For instance, Blyton often indicated that George was her favourite character for demonstrating independence and courage.  I find George spoilt and selfish.  She's willing to ruin everyone's holidays at the drop of a hat because she doesn't get her way.

At the Chalet School, Matron claims to be aware of the characters of all the girls, but she's willing to accuse someone who she's known since birth of vandalism.  Or teachers who know the asinine "schoolgirl code" of not "telling tales" asking people "who did this?"  I never understood that...

Anyway, the key for me is that while the stories themselves are interesting and have held up, some of the behaviours identified are less than ideal.  It does, though, illustrate a vital life lesson:  Life isn't fair.  Any time we try to teach people to expect fairness as a rule, we do them and ourselves a disservice.

Don't yell.  When we teach our kids that life has to be fair, that things go turn-about and that they always have a say in the outcome of their actions, we lead to disappointment.  Life is not fair, and although karma is inevitable, it's not swift.  This comes because I've run into far too many people who think that they're being badly treated because they didn't get that promotion or win that award.  We would do far better to behave consistently, to act fairly and to prepare for the odd failure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!