Know when to walk away

My mother once showed me one of her wedding presents; a set of smoke coloured glasses in about 6 sizes.  It lived in a cupboard, still wrapped in the original paper.  I asked her why she never used it, and she explained that shortly after she and my father were married, they had some friends over, and one glass was broken.  She decided that she would keep them all safe, and they were relegated to the cupboard.  After her death, when my siblings and I went through her stuff, they were there, unused and unenjoyed.

In the last few months, I’ve started clearing out things that I haven’t used in more than a year, and there are, sadly, a lot of them.  I was able to part with some of my books by donating them to a Little Free Library, and comforting myself with the thought that they would be read and appreciated by others.  I’ve arranged an auction to dispose of some of my evening dresses, which I no longer wear, and which I couldn’t bear to put in the donation bins.  Some people will (I hope) enjoy them and wear them.

I have to confess that I have looked at some things and wanted to donate them so that I could replace them with newer items... there’s a long standing wish for a new set of dishes in a different pattern, for instance.  Or to replace my kitchen appliances with the latest versions (I caught myself eyeing a pasta making attachment for a mixer that I don’t own, trying to justify the future pasta that I could make.). Like many others, I have items in my home that I bought with many good intentions, that have never been used.  I also have things stashed in cupboards that are in their original wrapping and not enjoyed.

No, I’m not about to launch into the need to minimize possessions.  Nor am I about to justify emptying cupboards and closets to upgrade everything.  This isn’t a tirade against consumerism (although I’m sick of the pre-Christmas “buy, buy, buy!” ) It is, rather, an expression of my internal discussion on how to balance new and old possessions; comfort and practicality.

I’m slowly learning to not save things for later.  To use the delicate dishes, to use up the chocolates, to wear the pretty clothes.  It’s a challenge, because it’s been hammered into me that the “nice” things need to remain special, and only used on certain occasions.  But waiting for that occasion can stretch into months, if not years, and meanwhile things are sitting, unused, in cupboards or drawers.

So, if I show up to a casual gathering wearing an elaborate scarf or layered necklaces, it’s my way of enjoying my things... my niece and I have agreed that I’m eccentric, and that may extend to wearing funky accessories!  Who wants to join me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!