Eat the dishes

 Everyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy my food.  It is, as I often joke, the key to maintaining my girlish figure (remarking that a circle is a figure). It’s no surprise, therefore, to learn that I list cooking as a hobby (and have, since my teen years) nor that my cooking classes are a pleasure even after a session of chemotherapy.  (It’s true... I did three classes during my last round of treatment, and told the medical team that their job was to ensure that I could make it and keep the food down.  They did, because they’re awesome and amazing 😉). So yes, cooking is a definite pleasure for me, and I’m quite happy to try new recipes and share them.

However, I have to admit that I am not a fan of meal kits. You know what I mean; the kits that promise to make you a gourmet cook with recipe cards, portioned ingredients that are delivered to your home. I understand the appeal of home delivery, especially during this pandemic.  I also understand the fun of new recipes, but I do not appreciate losing the pleasure of doing my own grocery shopping. I have tried the personal shopping service at different grocery stores, and it’s fine for pantry staples and items that are prepackaged and uniform, but much less so for fresh produce, meats, fish and bakery goods.  I prefer to shop in person, myself, for these items.  

My main objection is in the marketing that suggests that cooking is an arcane, difficult and unpleasant chore, best done by trained professionals except when items are packaged so  that “even you” can boil water and cook pasta.  I’m promised “restaurant quality meals” that I prepare myself, with preselected ingredients... The ingredients, I’m promised, are the best quality (often organic, gluten free, non-GMO and whatever other buzzwords can be crammed onto the label) but when I consider the pricing, I often find that the items are marked up by 50% or more over the supermarket. I’m not convinced that the difference is worth it. I mean, really, for the same price (or less) I can have actual restaurant meals delivered cooked to my door, all carefully portioned and ready to eat.  Or for the same price I can purchase the ingredients for 3 meals that I cook myself.  I’m really not persuaded that this is worth the expense.

And the recipes often promise to transport me to “exotic” locations, with chef-inspired versions of ethnic dishes. Sadly, in my experience, these dishes are frequently pale, insipid versions that only share the name with the cuisine. There are a few that take the time to use authentic spice blends and traditional techniques, but in my opinion, many are adapted to the lowest common level, where the palate has been toned down and the flavours are indistinguishable from other popular fast foods. 

I admit freely that I use some convenience items, especially frozen vegetables and fruits.  They supplement the fresh items at a lower cost (notably out of season) and allow me to use just a few at a time.  Jarred or canned sauces are also timesavers, and shorten meal preparation times, so I’m not against the idea of ease of use, just that the costs and marketing don’t match the benefits.

Now, I like that people cook at home, and share meals as a family.  I know that trying to plan meals that families eat without complaining is challenging.  Feeding a family while managing a household budget is not easy.  But instead of treating meals as a burden, how about enjoying the experience?  I remember when we were growing up, each of us had a night when we were expected to prepare a family dinner after we had reached our teens. We were only allowed to order out once a month, so we soon learned to make interesting meals for a family of 8 people. In fact, it’s taken me almost 30 years to learn to cook enough for 2. We grumbled, of course, because we were teenagers. But by the third turn, we were better at it.  As a further incentive, we were allowed to invite a friend over on our night to cook, so it became a chance to experiment and socialize. Quite frankly, I love cooking with the kitchen full of family, where we all coordinate a meal.  Some of my happiest times have been preparing meals alongside my family, with the cheerful chaos of getting food prepared an on the table.

While I worked full time, I would cook meals for the week, portion and freeze, and take my lunch to work. For several years, I allowed myself to buy lunch once a week, and I’d pack meals for the other 4 days. There were times when I bought more often, but those were infrequent.  In fact, during one of those phases, I would buy a breakfast sandwich and something small for lunch. Then it hit me, that for the same $15 weekly, instead of 5 breakfast sandwiches, I could provide myself with 9 meals, and I became more disciplined. Instead of buying teas or coffee, I stocked up in my desk.  I used the rare trip to buy coffee as a social event when I needed to connect with a colleague, and I had weekly lunch dates with friends where we got away from our desks and talked about essentials (like families, vacation plans and shopping). So I don’t object to shared meals, to buying meals, to cooking together. I do complain about the idea that all domestic activities are burdensome and should be outsourced. 

Do you use those meal kits?  What is it that you like? And do you think that I’m being unreasonable about the costs?  Let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Great blog! I have gone to supperworks which is somewhat different than a food plan / box. I enjoyed supporting the local business and the social of the actual activity of preparing several meals w Jack (an outing!) and having no dishes or chopping or food wastage. Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gift of learning to cook is a lifelong treasure

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!