Cool evenings

Yesterday, the forecast called for 2 days of heavy rain, and while it did rain a lot it was not as continuous as we expected.  The temperature dropped a bit today, which cut our afternoon walk dramatically because I was shivering even with my sweater — the temperature was allegedly about 20C but it felt much cooler because of some strong winds that seemed to come from all directions.  I was not in great shape today; for some reason my leg was in a lot more pain than usual.  My support worker said that it was probably because rain was forecast, which might be true even if not encouraging.  This is how I was woken up this morning, with a little snuggler who crawled up to take his position under my chin and hug me with his little paw.  This little monster really is a source of delight and comfort, when he’s not being super bossy.  Don is doing pretty well today, with a decent appetite and a good bit of energy.  These are the things that make me feel happy and reduce stress.

I want to thank all of you lovely readers for your notes of encouragement in the last couple of days.  It’s so kind of you to take a moment to send me those messages.  It’s far too easy to fall into a place of moping when you’re limited in seeing people, and it’s worse when the majority of messages are from people who have fallen ill so they’re cancelling planned activities.  So getting emails from friends who I haven’t seen in a long time (over 2 years in some cases!!) letting me know that they have been reading my scribbles and that they are happy to hear that things are generally going well just gives me a boost.  I actually found the stack of messages that I’d received when I was recovering from my spinal surgery last year, and I smiled while rereading them.  I know that everyone is busy with their own lives, and it’s easy to delay contacting others, until so much time has elapsed that you feel awkward reaching out.  If I may offer a word of advice, there’s no need to feel badly for not reaching out.  Just do it when you have a moment, and I guarantee that your message will be received happily no matter how much time has elapsed.  There’s also no need for protracted apologies or feelings of guilt for having other commitments.  My other piece of advice is that you really shouldn’t wait for the patient to reach out to you.  For people like myself, it’s very difficult to ask for help, and I am hesitant to reach out to someone randomly.  Besides, it’s a reality that lots of people will offer to do things but then not follow up so it’s usually safer not to rely on those “promises.”  So if you want to help someone, ask “May I do <XYZ> for you?” instead of “Let me know if you need anything.”  The former gives a good idea of what you’re able to manage in terms of support, so you won’t have to say “Sorry, I can’t do that,” if you’re asked to help and everyone’s more comfortable.   Sorry, I don’t mean to sound preachy.  I got several messages this week that started with apologies for being out of touch, and I thought that I should take a moment to say that it’s not necessary to do that; I’m just happy to hear that you’re doing well and more so that you’re back in touch.

It’s definitely cooler this evening; I’m wrapped up in my OfDon robe as I type even with the windows and doors closed… I don’t want to have to turn on the heat just yet!  It’s the annual challenge — how long can I continue to wear sandals and sleeveless dresses?  Cool or chilly nights and warm days are lovely, especially when you add in the harvest of fresh local fruits and vegetables - at this time of year, things like squash, apples, grapes, root vegetables, the late corn and the last of the summer fruits (berries, notably)  I only buy items that are in season, so I’ll go the rest of the year without having peaches or other fruit.  While they’re in season, we practically gorge on fresh fruit and enjoy them until they’re no longer available.  My balcony tomatoes are done, mostly because we allowed them to die off in preparation for the work that the building is having done.  But fresh picked produce is really divine.  I noticed this week that the trees are starting to think about changing colours… for years Don teased me about rushing the season, because I’d swear that the leaves were starting to turn in mid-August in some areas (mainly in the hills where it gets cooler at night earlier)  But it’s official, a few of the maples are beginning to shade red and in not too long a time, they’ll all be ablaze with reds, golds, and all the autumnal shades!  I’m not rushing the season!!  I’m happy to hold on to the greens and flowers for a lot longer.

I’m being told that I’ve been neglecting my tummy rubbing duties long enough, so I’ll sign off and cuddle the puppy.  Good night!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!