Desert crossed–entering the “Promised” Land

May 18, 2011

Now finally, Israel.  The first location is Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee (or as the guide keeps reminding us, it’s not a sea, it’s a lake.  The lowest freshwater lake in the world.)  After Jabra, I’m not happy with this one.  Heck, I’m not happy with her after Adel, our Egyptian guide!  She’s “a New Yawk Jew who moved to Is-reel-ell” some yeahs ago, and the Lawd Jeez-us revealed himself to her in a great and personal way”  She needs to “believe” that the “dear Lawd” was personally present” at each location we visit, and she takes painstaking effort to describe the scenes, including the eucalyptus trees (which are not native to Israel) in the picture.  I get it, I do.  But when, today, she tried to convince us that a boat that was hauled out of the lake was “the very one that Jesus travelled in” my patience left the room and hasn’t returned.  I next expect that there will be “authentic pieces of the True Cross” and “genuine pieces of Jesus’ robe” either on display or up for sale.

Oh yeah – and they’re singing ALL the time now.  Stop to admire the view, whip out your bible (we’ve got an evangelical leading the tour!) so we can read the verse related to that stone; and let’s have a song.  If only the singers were on key, in tune or melodic! 

It doesn’t help that I have tonsillitis and my throat is on fire.  Yes, I do get the irony that I, with all my panic about inoculations, am the one who’s sick. 

The sail across the sea of Galilee was fun, though.  As was the visit to Caesarea Philippi.  The Mount of Beatitudes was peaceful.  Lunch – I wasn’t feeling well enough to eat, so missed out on that.  And on the visit to the place where we “firmly believed” that Peter declared himself to Jesus after the Resurrection.  After 2 guides who provided solid history, getting “we believe” and “you can just see how wonderful” doesn’t cut it for me.

And where food is concerned… I prefer Arabic food over kosher.  I’m in a minority here.  But kosher food is just… ok.  Arabic food is a gift from paradise.


Previous

Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!