Precious in his sight

Another day, more challenges ahead.  I really should not complain because there are SO many good things in my life right now!  I could find things to complain about, starting with the legendary food, but no. (Incidentally, I cleared my breakfast plate today, so I was obviously hungry.)

I’m about four days after having back surgery. My back is still sore and my shoulders feel like I have been carrying sharp knives and been badly beaten. My arms are covered in bruises and sores and remains of IVs that have been taken out and put back in so many times that there isn’t it continuous stretch of skin that doesn’t look abused.  These are absolutely true. These are all absolute facts. And don’t take away from the fact that I am getting better that every day.  I can do a little bit more and that my strength is very gradually starting to return each day.

Patient board

Next to each bed in the hospital is a whiteboard which contains essential information for the patients... room number, name, etc. Here’s mine in my current room.  It’s within easy view of the bed, so that it’s a quick reference for anyone entering. One of the first questions I was asked was, “can you turn your head to see the board?”  Well, of course I could!  It’s right there!  Ah, my arrogance and privilege!  For thankfully few days, the pain was sufficiently high that I couldn’t even twist my head. It sank into me that for some people that might be their experience, only able to look directly above them, and never change their view!

Even more of my privilege came home to me in this post operation world. Coincidentally, the gospel reading earlier this week included the line: Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.’ This week brought this to the forefront for me. I couldn’t go to the washroom by myself. I had a catheter after surgery and it was removed yesterday (the TMI segment ends here) but I still can’t roll over or get up unassisted.  I’m beginning to appreciate even more those people require help for every minute element of their lives. I pray and thank God for those whose lives are devoted to the care of the sick.  They really are blessed.  Because of them, so many people can have a better quality of life.  The carers do things that I should have done myself before, but am prevented because of my surgery.  This acute care is one thing, but the provision of chronic, long term aid is a definite benediction. I’m more grateful and appreciative of my sister, Heidi, for her life work choice!

Then I had to do my updated MRI.  Imagine my sheer joy at finding that the radiation technician actually lived about 5 minutes away from me in Trinidad!  And moreover, hearing the accent was a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. He filled me in on things that I didn’t know about, but he was just a huge blast of happiness!  Trust me that I’m not being PollyAnna, although I believe that she is more sinned against than sinning. Her approach to find something to be glad about things is hard to take. But finding joy in the everyday is a gift to mankind and should be practiced often.  I’m thankful for the daily “bouquets” that I receive from friends who share photos from their daily walks of flowers rioting into bloom in their neighbourhoods, and the photos of babies growing up and pets full of life. 

I’m drifting off to sleep now, so that’s all for you today. Looking forward to your messages and notes as always. Please don’t be offended if I don’t reply personally, I’m touched that you take the time to check in.  Have a beautiful day!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!