Strange places we’ve never seen

 Oh dear Lord, this is SUCH a freaking roller coaster!

As you know, I’m going through the recovery process after spinal cord surgery  A few days ago I woke up and couldn’t get out of bed.  My legs just collapsed under me!  I was absolutely terrified!  I texted my oncologist, who is marvellous and he told me to get to the hospital immediately  I did  They were great and put me in bed and checked me  

I was told that I’d have to stay- something I hadn’t considered  so there I was with my iPad, iPhone and my current crochet project, expecting a few hours’ visit.  Not so!  That night, an MRI showed that I had a spinal cord tumour that was crushing my spinal cord and affecting my ability to stand and walk.  Surgery was then imminent and and urgent.

I cannot express my fear at that moment. To be told that you NEED spinal surgery at 10pm? My world felt like it had smashed into pieces  Shaking with terror, I called my support team- Don (naturally) and my sisters.  They must have been equally terrified, but they stayed calm enough for me to give the necessary permission and set this up  I’m so sad that I have to put them through this!

I told VERY few people  Just those who I consider my family and who are so close to me that they are extensions of my siblings!  Because of Covid I’m not allowed any visitors and for an extrovert like myself it is painful!! To you who are not on the visitor list, I do love you but I’m not allowed.  And those who are on it, you are my life, and my strength and you keep me going for another 15 minutes!

The transfer to the next hospital happened quickly-my first time in an ambulance!  Another experience I could have skipped 😃 and I was then on the emergency list for the operation. It took a few days to get sorted, because it was just before a long weekend  NOT fun having to fast absolutely for days on end  I expect a contract for a bikini model now! 🤣

Thankfully the surgery went well and although it is Slow and painful I’m recovering slowly but well!  I’m trying to maintain a positive attitude, which they tell me can encourage recovery, but there are some days when it’s not easy!  The hospital is treating me well.  Ok, the CARE is is is good but the food is a form of torture that I think violates the Geneva Convention!! That really should be banned and not given to a woman recovering from back surgery!! 

All this to say that I know that this has been a shock for everyone.  I’m brazen enough to ask you to send me messages- emails, texts, physical letters (I will provide an an address on request), short phone calls, Messenger and WhatsApp videos… you got the idea 😃  As for what to say — pictures of your kids growing up and dancing, puppies, notes about your day, books you’re reading and recommending  In short, what we normally discuss  (And the occasional delivery of something good to eat, because did I mention the food? Thanks for the pepper sauce!!!!)

I expect to be here for a couple of weeks, then I’ll be released home in the care of a nurse when meals will probably be more necessary  So for those who asked what can you do, this is it 

Everyone, I thank you profoundly for your prayers,  thoughts and messages as I’m getting through this.  My faith is a stabilizing force for me right now. I read everything and each one gives me delight and encouragement. It’s selfish of me to ask you to continue, I can’t answer individual ones, but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate you. I’ll update when I can and I’ll answer you as often as possible. Thanks so much! I love you all - even if you weren’t on on the first list of calls! And you are precious to me!

(Please excuse the errors in grammar; dictation isn’t perfect and the nurse keeps complaining that I’m kinking my line!) GTG, TTYS!!!

Comments

  1. Sonja wonderful to hear you are recovering slowly but surely but everything has its time. Keep up the positivity I do believe that the mind and body are intertwined so both need to be in good health for overall healing. Faith is definitely what we all rely on in our moments of greatest needs....so remember that the combined forces of all our prayers will get you through these times...and continue to gain you health and strength. Much Love Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja, so very happy and thankful to hear that the surgery went well and you are in recovery. Although it is slow and painful I'm sure you will achieve full recovery by continuing to remain positive. It is extremely encouraging to see that your sense of humor is intact 😁 Continue to keep the faith my friend and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!