Caveat lector

I had a rough night. My blood sugar bottomed out and was in a danger zone. I was up at 2am drinking juice and having some chocolate. It was still low at 9am, so I've been nursing some Ensure. I'll skip tonight's insulin dose and call the endocrinologist in the morning. We aren't sure why my sugar is behaving like this, but we will keep a close eye on it! Jerry is not giving me ANY privacy! I have a small, fuzzy, black shadow everywhere! He's often lying on his back on my lap with his legs outstretched. If he can, he climbs onto my shoulder and snuggles into my neck. He can seemingly make himself comfortable anywhere! Can you believe that I feel guilty about putting him in the other room (with Don) when my nurse or other attendant is here? It's safer, as he's likely to bank or get underfoot so he's in there-I stress that he's NOT ALONE-giving occasional yips to communicate his displeasure! His protectiveness has increased with the pandemic, as he hasn't had much company.

I "m finding that I mistrust rating systems. You know how they're all based on a 5- * system? I know that 5 is supposed to convey superiority. But it seems that 5 * is default. Everything is, apparently, excellent. Unless there's a campaign to down vote and cancel something, where strangers get active. I'm stunned and displeased by both approaches. Yes, I'm probably naive in expecting honesty. There's a lot about online culture that's distressing. Like many people, I use the online reviews in part to assess my spending. Of course I'd give a highly rated item more attention than a poorly-rated one. What I've started to do is to read the reviews, particularly the poor ones (the 1- * and 2- * ones) to get an idea of the weaknesses. All too often, they're weak-the colour wasn't as pictured; there wasn't a printed user manual, etc. I tend to look for real problems-poor quality item, lack of customer service, as indicators of problems. Same with the highly rated reviews-if the person has a't get used the item, I'll pass. Fast shipping is good, but does it work as it's supposed to? For clothes, do they fit true to size? Is the material good quality? And so on.

This came up as a friend who owns a small business, was the target of a down vote attack. The client wanted a discount, which the owner provided, but it apparently wasn't big enough. Later that day, there were multiple identical negative reviews. In a week the business dropped from 4.5 stars to 2, and the hosting platform was ready to drop the site. An investigation showed that the negative reviews were bot-generated and they were removed, but it took much longer for the business' reputation to recover. It's unfortunate that so many people seem to forget that actions have consequences and that there are real people behind the pages. My recommendation is that if you have a problem with a business, speak politely to the people and try to resolve before going into slash-and-burn attack mode! I maintain that kindness and politeness go further than anger. And yes, I know that some people make it difficult to do that, but don't allow others to control your actions!

It's bedtime - I'm wiped out and my tummy is again unhappy-no idea why! But perhaps curling up under the covers with my book will help. Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!