Habent sua fata libelli


It’s a sad day emotionally because my family doctor is officially retired. I still haven't found a new one, despite searching for the past few months. The 3 clinics that my doctor had recommended are all full and have closed their waiting lists. I registered with the province to be referred to a doctor and now I wait. Meanwhile, my IV situation has moved over to the cancer centre, where my oncologist (a truly wonderful doctor!) set up 3 days a week for at least a month so that I can improve (we hope!) I told him that I'm hoping to travel this winter to see my family and friends. He thinks that it's a great plan, so we'll focus on making that happen. The tiny monster literally spent the day on my lap, or about 5 cm from my ankle! I evicted him several times, unsuccessfully, and my lap practically has taken on the shape of a small schnauzer. He's right now trying to beg some of our dinner, and getting into mischief. He just brought his bowl over to Don to show that it's empty and complain that he's a starving, unloved dog. What a ham!

Thank you all for the recent flood of encouraging, loving messages. I am so thankful for them. When I read (or listen to) your messages I feel that I can tackle whatever comes my way. As you'd know from my blog, it's not always easy to remain upbeat and cheerful, and that some days are more challenging than others. There have been a few rough days lately, as you know, so your messages have helped. Special thanks to J & H for the regular supply of flower pictures that feature on the posts. They definitely add to my store of inspiration. I'm also thankful for the prayers that are being offered for me. They matter a lot to me.

I got an email newsletter today which disgusted me. Apparently, there's a fairly active set of groups that work to ban books! Why would anyone want to ban books? If you don't like it, don't read it. If you're assigned a book as part of a course and you don't like it, then do enough to complete the course and never read it again. If a book makes you change how you think, or how you relate to others, then that's generally good. (Exceptions exist to almost everything) But seriously-why ban books? I've never yet heard a sensible reason to do that, as the reasons offered are all of the, "OMG, I don't like this word!" "Oh, the characters don't look or act like me!" etc. Banning "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn " for the use of one word is, to me, inexcusably stupid. Issuing death threats against writers is beyond brutish and foolish. And promoting works that spread hatred is abusive. I wonder how many people would have read those books if they weren't made notorious by censors? I disagree with banning books, even as I don't like a number of them. It's a dreadful practice. Far, far better to discuss the problematic texts and appreciate how to improve. There are reasonable age restrictions on certain types of books because readers who are too young can't adequately process them. But still- no bans!

My nurse will be here early tomorrow to hook up my hydration. It's inconvenient, but it helps me tremendously so I'll manage. My little dictator is on my feet now, letting me know that I'm delinquent in my role as dog bed and tummy masseuse! Good night!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!