Horas non Numero nisi Serenas

 

I had 7 hours of sleep last night. That's a full night's sleep! It was wonderful. I fell asleep shortly after 00:30, and didn't wake up until 7:45am. Today, although I had a few moments of dozing off, I was alert for most of the day. Couple more good things today; I had an appointment with my endocrinologist, and we'll be adjusting my insulin dose down to compensate for me being weaned off the steroids. So there is a plan for me to get my dose back to where it was pre-surgery. Then, too, Don was able to sleep well last night, and his pain levels are also down. Generally happy all around Chez Crosby today.

Here is Jerry today, protesting my crocheting. A friend had sent me a box of yarn -lovely, soft baby colours- but some were snarled into an impressive yarn "barf" so I've been spending some time detangling and winding the yarn into a ball (reusing a toilet paper roll-very handy!) Jerry disapproved (of course) and inserted himself on my lap to disrupt the proceedings. The ball winding continues, and I'm thinking of what I can make with that very soft blue yarn. I'm continuing to work on my cardigan; it's at the stage still where it doesn't yet look like anything distinctive, and I'm proud and that I haven't had to frog it!  I've learnt that there's a lot of jargon that goes with crochet on the chat groups. To "frog" something means to rip it out and start over. (Because you “rip it" which sounds like "ribbit" → frog!) Then there's WIP = work in progress; HOTH = Hot off the Hook (just finished) and so on. And, of course, there are your stashes, most of which won't be used in the lifetime of the crocheter (or knitter) but there is the very real urge to buy more yarn, because

  1. Your current stash is inadequate for a planned project;
  2. The colours don't match anything you have;
  3. The yarn was on sale!
  4. The yarn is so pretty.

- and so on.

I was reminded by one of my smart-alec friends that my crochet work could be produced more quickly and for a much lower cost by kids in an Asian sweatshop. Which is just one more reason for me to keep making my own stuff! End the sweatshops! End slavery! And I can enjoy the products of my own handiwork.  

I was so delighted to find the treasure trove of online patterns that exists. I, naturally, have a collection of pattern books dating to the heyday of handwork- some going back to the 1920's and my grandmother's collection, which I have expanded. Then there are some slightly more modern magazines, which I had obtained through second-hand book stores; reprinted collections; donations from friends who were emptying their stuff and some few books on some advanced techniques.

I have to disclose that I have hoarder tendencies. I prefer to think of myself as a "discerning collector" but I must be honest, even if it's unflattering! When I develop an interest in something, I start buying books and materiel in support of it. So I have a large collection of cookbooks, primarily Trinidadian, which I started when I was about 8, with a children's recipe book collection from Carnation evaporated milk. I remember these (which I still have) because I carefully saved labels from tins of evaporated milk, aided by my aunt, so I could mail them in and order the books. I learnt how to make jam tarts and cheese pies from them. Over time I added & the collection. On a trip home I was going through my books and found the early entries in my collection, including a 1960's Chinese cookbook written for a British audience-let's just say that the recipes were not very authentically Chinese! You know that my niece has restricted
additions to this collection, so I'll have to be content with trying out different recipes from the existing lot!

My crochet collection, by comparison, is tiny, but respectable. As I said, it contains some antique and very vintage patterns. I've made several items from them, and it was from them that I learnt to read patterns and to stretch my capabilities. To support this hobby, I also have a full set of needles, including the first steel ones from my grandmother. I've also got a set of Tunisian hooks, a hairpin lace loom, and a set of aluminium hooks- steel hooks are for fine work, while aluminium or wood needles are better for blankets/clothing. The hairpin loom is a neat tool, and I spent quite some time getting used to it. I'll be practicing more advanced techniques over the next little while. I'll add pictures as we go.  I also have a full set of knitting needles-along with other people at my office some years ago, we started learning how to knit, and we made a blanket which we donated to a seniors' home.

Also in my hobbies collection is a set of calligraphy pens. Sadly, I don't use as often as I'd like. I did practice with them for a while, and I can do some lettering, but it slipped in priority behind crochet and cooking. And, well, life.

By far my largest collection is books. I've got many classic science fiction books by Golden Age authors, like Arthur C. Clenke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg, Robert Heinlein, John Wyndham... and some newer favourites like Frank Herbert (Dune); Orson Scott Card.  Fantasy works, of course, starting with J. R. R. Tolkien; Robert Jordan; Terry Pratchett.  And a miscellany of other genres with my favourite authors including P. G. Wodehouse; C. S. Lewis; John Mortimer (Rumpole); Jeffrey Archer; Roald Dahl; Beatrix Potter; Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain; Jean Auel (Earth's Children; Clan of the Cave Bear) and several anthologies of legends from different cultures. I regret loaning my African legends book out - it was never returned. Similarly for my book of Chinese tales. Since then I don't loan our books any more. I'm happy to copy pages, but that's it!

I also have a lot of children's books from Enid Blyton, principally editions from my childhood in the 1970's & 1980's.  E. M. Brent-Dyer (Chalet School); M.E. Allan (Drina); Jane Shaw; L. M. Montgomery and Arthur Ransome. I may be allowed to add to my collection of legends, fairy tales & children's books assuming that I can find the editions that I would like. I remember some beautiful editions printed in the 1960's and 1970's that were wonderfully illustrated with popular tales. I'm keeping a watchful eye on second hand stores and websites for these!

The advent of ebooks means that I also have electronic versions of some books that I always wanted but couldn't find when I was younger. I've been able to fill in gaps without adding a fifth or sixth bookcase. I still have a preference for paper books over ebooks, but I'll accept the e- versions if it's available. And for travel, I very much prefer e-books. It saves lots of space in my suitcase, and I can carry hundreds of reading options, as long as I can keep a charge on my tablet, and I don't read in the sun. (I  keep a couple of backup paperbacks in my purse for emergencies!)
Ok, I'm eager to start travelling again, and reading on Store Bay or Maracas Beach. I'm equally happy to read in any of the several places where I know I'll be welcomed even if I choose to spend a day just reading while I recharge. Looking forward to resuming travel in 2022-when the hours will be sunny!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!