Humilitas Occidit Superbiam

 

So after a night of glorious sleep, I struggled a lot to get 4hours altogether.  Swings and roundabouts, eh? It’s all good. Tonight I expect to fall asleep fairly quickly-I was dozing off in my chair while talking with my dad at 6:30 pm, so I expect that to translate into sleep.

My yarn detangling continues. I've managed to unsnarl a large chunk of it. I'm still working at it slowly when Jerry allows. He's decided that yarn is not something he allows to take up space on his lap. 😜

I continue to be discouraged by the manifestations of idiocy at large in society. I'm seriously disturbed by the number of people who seem to be unable to apply basic logic and science. What on earth were all of these people  doing during school hours? I submit the following for your consideration:

  • On a morning show segment on a local farm; "our pigs are free range so their fat is organic, and that's good for you."
  • (Pre-Covid) Grocery samples. "It's got organic cane sugar, so it's healthier than plain water."
  • "Popcorn is a whole grain, so it must have gluten."
  • "I wasn't the one who created that post; I just shared it. So I can't be expected to know anything about it."
  • "Lemons are stronger than chemotherapy."
  • "using a cane / glasses / insulin medication just makes you sick / weak / dependent. You should just change your diet."
  • “Doctors just want to keep you on medication because it’s profitable. “

Let's quickly review these, shall we?
General science level 100; or "we covered this in primary school"
Fat is fat. Whether or not it's organic doesn't change the nutritional value.
Added sugar does not make water "healthier." Water is healthy at its base Adding sugar just adds sugar, and calories. Not anything else.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat. Just because a food is whole grain doesn't mean it contains gluten.
Logic in action, or "Using common sense"

If you're sharing information. or you're agreeing with someone, you need to  be able to answer questions on the content. You can't just say that you don't know, because you have, by implication, agreed with what was said. Please don’t be silly enough to think that you can just repeat something and not be questioned about it. 

Slightly more advanced science or "we covered etis the first year of high school. "

- There are multiple levels of testing that are done on treatments. The very experimental is in a lab environment and then it's listed more broadly. Something might work in a lab, but not in the real world. Take, for example of  that infamous "inject bleach" statement. Bleachu works well on surfaces, not consumed!

Finally, using tools/medicines as they are he be used is exactly what we should do. So there's no surprise that things work.  Therefore using a cane or glasses does not make you lame or blind; using insulin doesn't make you diabetic, and using medication for a condition is exactly what jyou need to do!
This last one is probably the most insulting and ridiculous of the lot. Doctors are not, generally speaking, in the business of prolonging suffering. They work to reduce and alleviate it. So if they’re suggesting a medication, it means that it’s one that they think will help. Do they make mistakes?  Yes.  But they still don’t opt for the most difficult or painful option just for the fun of it!  If you do know one who likes playing Dr. Frankenstein, then they should be reported to the police and/or the medical board!  
I realize that my last few posts have strayed into the realm of cranky old woman, and I know that’s unusual for me!  I’d just say that I’ve been spending quite a bit of time listening to the news, which can be quite annoying, because there are far too many examples of people behaving stupidly!  I’m sorry for allowing that to creep into my mind the way it has… I’ll have to do a news detox over the weekend so that I’m restored to my usual self. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!