Las Lap

Thanks to the people who sent me photos of the revelry on the streets of Port of Spain today and yesterday.  I’m still not moved to buy a costume and play, but it’s certainly fun to see some of the looks and the unleashed creativity.  I’ll just comment that it’s unnecessary to circulate false rumours of the death of masmen, so let’s not, ok?  I am still catching up on sleep; I’m really unsure what’s the cause, but I have fallen asleep and not woken up for a long while.  I imagine that my body is trying to convey a message, but I honestly can’t say that I’m straining myself or that I’m exerting myself enough to need a rest.  The little monster has been complaining that I’m daring to talk on the phone or to eat or drink, and is working hard to get and hold my attention.  Don is fine; he had a small tummy issue for a day or so, but it’s resolved.  I’m trying to decide what I want to eat, and trying to get enough energy to do some necessary cooking so I can package a few meals, but so far not so good.

My parish priest, in his sermons for the last few days, has been reminding everyone that Lent starts tomorrow, and it’s a period of fasting and reflection, where Christians should be considering how to strengthen our faith and be better Christians.  I know that the almost automatic question is, “what are you giving up?” And most people will say that they’re going to avoid candy, alcohol or some other treat.  Some years ago, Pope Francis reminded us that we should fast from gossip, pettiness, and slander.  This year, I happen to like it when he says “do not take refuge in a religiosity made up of extraordinary events and dramatic experiences, out of fear of facing reality, its daily struggles, hardships, and contradictions.”  I have all kinds of thoughts as to religion and beliefs, but I won’t get into them now.  I’ll just join Fr. Steve is contemplating how to experience Lent, and how to deepen my faith and its practice during the next few weeks leading to Easter.  Given my current dietary restrictions, I won’t be “giving up” any foods — I’ll be trying to eat more and keep it in! — but I’ll certainly strive towards being more virtuous in my life.  You’ll be updated, most likely, on how that progresses.

Luckily it’s not yet Lent, and I haven’t promised not to be sarcastic or cutting… there’s a story today about proposed changes to the works of the author Roald Dahl to remove “troublesome” language.  I’ve talked before about not liking censorship, which this is, and the value of maintaining works in their original form for several important reasons, not least of which is understanding how things change.  I’m of the view that words in a literary work should really only be changed if they are obsolete and there’s a modern equivalent— like updating the word “charabancs” to “buses” or perhaps updating money from old British currency (pounds, shillings, pence) or changing to Euros instead of marks, pfennigs, lira and francs.  I’m not persuaded that “ugly” is so problematic that it needs to be removed, nor that calling someone “fat” is the worst insult possible.  Teaching children not to attack others and not to tease or bully them on their looks is important, and they should definitely learn to be kind, but I’m not convinced that referring to someone as “enormous” instead of “fat” accomplishes anything useful.  I also found it annoying when Enid Blyton’s works were edited to remove “problematic” people’s names like Dick and Fanny.  I’m pretty sure that the nursery rhyme “I love little pussy” is going to be edited soon, if it hasn’t already, just because people seem to want to swear at a distressing rate and don’t like using anatomical names.  Perhaps instead of banning words, we address attitudes and change how we treat people?  It would be better if we stopped denigrating people for things out of their control, and instead treated everyone with respect.

Before I get too wound up, I’m going in search of a cup of tea, and perhaps a cookie… I’m going to be pounced on by a small dog soon, so I’ll take advantage of his attacking Don to head into the kitchen.  Good night!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!