News!

I’ve got some great news!!  We have a family doctor!! 🎉👏  A while ago, when I was at an appointment at the hospital, there was a sign in the window of the receptionist with the names of some clinics that were accepting new patients.  I took a photo of the sign, and we went immediately to the nearest one where we registered for a “meet and greet.”  Today was the earliest available appointment, so we went to meet the doctor and the staff.  They accepted us both, handed over some requisitions for blood work (and in Don’s case, X-rays and “man” tests)  I’ve transferred our medical files over, and I sent the contact info to the pharmacy; all that remains now is to update my file at the hospital.  This is a HUGE relief to us; and for me, an even bigger relief that I didn’t have to return to the clinic that I distrusted.  In conversation with some other people who had used the clinic, it seems that even though the doctors I saw aren’t very active and may even have retired, the behaviours that concerned me are entrenched.  Don is happy with the doctor, and with the location of the clinic, so good news all around.  Jerry is in high cuddle mode, because he was in the car while we were at the doctor, and as soon as I got in the car he climbed on my lap and hasn’t left me for more than a few seconds.  

The new medicine arrived yesterday, and I’ve been taking it since last night.  It has helped with some of the distress, and I was able to sleep better last night.  I ate (well, drank) half a bowl of wonton soup — just the broth, really — and had some more of the broth today.  After a discussion with my dietitian, I’m on a mostly liquid diet, with more instructions to “drink calories.”  Happily, I was able to also find some of my Ensure today, so I bought a few.  My instructions now are to avoid drinking aerated drinks, using straws, reduce fat intake and increase liquids.  According to the scale today, I’ve lost only one pound in the last week or so… once upon a time, in Weight Watchers, I’d have received awards for losing all this weight.  At least my weight loss seems slower, which is good, because if I’d kept losing I’d vanish!  I was supposed to join some friends last night for dinner, and I had to decline.  I hope they had fun and that we can plan another night, when I feel more normal.  I’m looking forward to being able to eat solid food again soon, and then work my way back to eating real food, with spice and flavour!!  Right now, even chocolate causes difficulty, which is really pathetic!

I got a notification from my Trini peeps today that didn’t get quite the reaction they were expecting.  My Dad, and others, complained that it was so cold at night; they had to break out blankets, and had to find sweaters if they were outdoors.  They were freezing, they said.  Then I got the notice from the Meteorology Office that Trinidad had recorded its lowest temperature in over a decade: 18.2C.   I haven’t stopped laughing… and one of my friends passed on tiny violins 🎻 to accompany their “suffering”… today was fairly mild, with a high of -3C; tomorrow is expected to bottom out at -31C, so guess who is staying in? 

As for now, I’m going to have a dose of my medicine and then I’ll drink one of my bottles of nutritional supplements and pet a small dog.  Although he might require that I start with that, and then work out details later.  Good night!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!