Dates…

Fall is here!  The weather is firmly in the “seasonal” range, which, although normal, feels distinctly cold after the last few weeks and the heat wave.  We’re rapidly approaching peak leaf colour change, which means that there’s less green and a lot of red, orange and yellow all around.  Mornings are usually foggy, cold enough to see your breath, midday is chilly and evenings require snuggly blankets, the “OfDon” cloak, socks and hot drinks. I’ll definitely have to stock up on hot chocolate (that someone likes!) and look up soup ideas.  Jerry is exceptionally snuggly and has been complaining  anytime he’s not on a lap (usually mine) and has to amuse himself.  Don is a little more energetic, and moved around a bit more today, although that exhausted him and he’s catching up — I understand that, as I have the same issue when I do too much (or pretty much anything at all)  Surprisingly there’s no sports on tonight (or it’s on one of the channels we don’t get) so I’m happily indulging in some outdated British TV series for a bit!  Yesterday would have been my grandmother’s 119th birthday, and it’s a year since Auntie Ming’s funeral.  In both cases, it was a day for reflection and prayer.

I’ve apparently got a massive sleep deficit, and have been needing a lot of extra sleep.  I sleep for a good part of the night and then I need another couple of hours during the day.  I’ve also learnt that my tummy will have a moment of discomfort out of the blue.  From my observation, I get nauseated if I don’t eat regularly, or if I exert myself — things like bending over (which my physiotherapist forbids) or a couple of other things.  It’s quite frustrating, I admit!  On a better note, I got my flu shot today.  My pharmacist (who knows me and my conditions) called to have me lined up for the senior’s vaccine, which is a high dose quadrivalent.  He wanted to be sure that I’m protected, which is so nice to know that I’m being cared for.  My dad is doing pretty well.  We’re joking that he perked up when he realized that he would have a pretty, 20-something nurse sleeping in his room and giving him regular baths!  His appetite is good, he’s been made to do his exercises regularly (and not allowed to get away with “I don’t feel like it” which is also giving him some more strength.  It’s a relief, overall.  I’ve been passing along everyone’s wishes, and that also makes him happy, so thank you all for this.

I can’t stay quiet on this topic.  The horrific attacks on Israel, the many deaths and the overwhelming horror is really dreadful.  I know that the West is firmly aligned with Israel, and that there are equally many who support Hamas (I can’t really say Palestine) and emotions run high.  I can’t pretend to understand the intricacies of the politics, nor can I make sense of a lot of the complexities.  I was half listening to an update on the news which just casually mentioned thousands of casualties on both sides, and described a number of atrocities as though they were reading the menu at a fast food restaurant!  There are so many wars and so many lives that are disrupted by them that it’s really disgusting.  What I find even worse is the propaganda that is spread, making it even nastier than reality (if possible).  I find it dreadful how much is spent on weapons — even one of the missiles used in any of the current conflicts could feed thousands of people, provide medical care/vaccinations/surgeries for even more thousands, educate, house, provide water / sanitation / housing for many villages… heck, it could provide accessible health care for entire countries, and on and on!  How, can anyone explain to me, can governments say that there’s no money for food, healthcare, water, housing, education, green tech, etc, but can still manage to buy thousands of bombs with a price tag of many millions each?  Clearly demonstrates their priorities, doesn’t it?  It breaks my heart to think of how many people die from wars and the business of war when we could save them, feed them, stabilize their lives… I know, I’m a dreamer but I’ll continue to dream that one day we’ll realize that our first priority should be protecting this world and the lives on it, instead of trying to “increase the lethality” of our weaponry.

I’m beginning to flag, so I’ll wrap up here with a prayer for peace… one of my favourites is the one that begins, “Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me; […] with every step I take, let this be my solemn vow: to take each moment and live each moment in peace.”  Good night!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!