Warm

It’s been another hot day today, and the heat (and the dog) affected my sleep last night; we’ve had the fans on all day just to keep the temperature manageable.  I found it challenging to breathe this morning due to the humidity, but it’s improved during the day after my afternoon nap.  Jerry is very clingy today, and I just pushed him off my lap for the 20th time today; every time I was on the phone, either texting or talking, he would start scratching me or jump on me and try to push the phone away or sit on my lap and block my view of the TV; just generally wanting all of my attention.  Don says that he’s feeling a little better, and is in less pain, but still has difficulty moving easily.  His appetite is fairly decent, and he’s not watching sports since his team was eliminated last night.  He’s got other teams in different sports which he’ll watch all week… I’ll be deep in my books instead.

As mentioned, my sleep wasn’t great last night, in part because it was quite warm and I woke up feeling hot and got up to turn on the fan.  Then Jerry arranged himself under my legs so I couldn’t stretch out, moved to lie against my side, then on my tummy… that’s probably why I’m a little irritated with him today.  Being tired doesn’t go well with being scratched.  I think that I over ate a little today… I’d ordered meals for us a few days ago and (of course) divided mine.  I went to finish the meal today and found that the last 2 shrimp were causing a struggle to go down.  I hope this stuffed feeling goes away soon… for the record, it was a total of 4 shrimp and a half cup of rice.  

My dad spent the night at the hospital last night, sadly he was kept in the ER on a gurney.  He’s been released today and is back at home.  We had a video chat with him this morning, where he said that he didn’t sleep because it was very hot, noisy, uncomfortable and he missed his bed.  He was quite weak when they got him home, and it took my sister and brother together to get him inside.  He was confused and somewhat disoriented, but he ate a good meal and got a (sponge) bath before he was tucked up to get some sleep.  He will need to go back for a clinical visit with urology, so that appointment is to be set up.  We’ll keep an eye on him, and ensure that he’s properly cared for.

I’m always distressed at the state of public health care in Trinidad.  Things like non functional air conditioning— in a crowded hospital — overcrowding, understaffing, inadequate maintenance, and a long list of other ills.  No matter how dedicated or professional the medical staff may be, they would be severely handicapped by the working conditions.  I have an ongoing complaint that governments have a distressing habit of underfunding public health care to drive patients to private care, which lines the pockets of the politicians.  I know that I’m an eternal optimist, but I have this belief in not skimming money from coffers that is intended for public services.  It would be so great if there was less greed running rampant in the world, wouldn’t it?  As if it weren’t bad enough, there’s a report today that there are clinics who are charging patients fees — which is against the intent and letter of the Ontario public health law.  It’s borderline legal, but it’s sketchy at best.  Our politicians should stop defending that disgraceful practice and bring it to an end.  

I’m going to make myself a cup of tea, then I’ll make a couple of phone calls and head for bed.  Jerry is on my toes sulking at the moment.  It’s still quite warm and I hope that a cooler room will help me sleep easily without needing meds.  Good night.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!