Hump

It’s a bit overcast again, and it was definitely cold this morning, although it’s warmed up a lot in the afternoon.  Jerry is right now settled in a little lump on Don’s lap and watching me suspiciously from the sofa.  Every time that I was on the phone today, he would jump into my lap, lie on his back and try to bat the phone out of my hand.  He’s been a shadow to me, so much so that I have to check where to put my feet when I’m walking across the room!  Don finds it hilarious, as I can’t even get a glass of water without being followed closely.  He’s feeling, he says, a little better, and has been eating pretty well.  Both of which make me very happy, as you can guess.

I’m feeling OK, just a little tired today.  I had a little problem this afternoon, as my support worker was unable to come — her mother was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, and something happened this weekend so she’s in hospital.  She called the agency to say that she wouldn’t be able to come and they were to send me someone.  That person called around 3, and I very apologetically said that it wouldn’t work, as I need to be bathed and I’m not comfortable being bathed by a man.  He said he would try to find a replacement, I called myself to reiterate that I’ve asked before not to have a male worker assigned to me.  I assume that I will not have a visit today.  I hope that my worker’s mom improves; it’s so hard on her.  My dad is doing well, thankfully, although he continues to complain about “being in prison” by the nurse who ensures that he does his exercises, etc, and doesn’t listen when he says that he’s not going to sit up after meals or take a shower or whatever.  The nurse has been good for him, and we see that he’s definitely improved since she’s been there.

Like all of you, I’ve heard people complain about how entitled children are, how disrespectful, and how they could never have done what kids do now.  I have to agree with some of that, sadly.  My parents/elders never beat us, but they had some very effective threatening looks that they threw at us so we knew that we would be in severe trouble if we continued.  There was also an automatic deference to adults, any of whom were allowed to chastise or discipline us (not physically.)  I was in terror of offending or upsetting my grandmother, who I utterly and absolutely adored, but I didn’t want to make her angry.  As strict as she could be, she was also very caring, but I would have been in serious trouble if I’d said to anyone “f—- you” which I’ve heard children say to their parents.  That, and “you’re not my parent/the boss of me” would have been red rags to an enraged bull!  The thing that truly astounds me is the parents who do nothing to curb their children’s excesses or who don’t correct them for interfering with / damaging other people’s property.  Your kids, although they’re precious to you, have to live in society with the rest of us, so they definitely need to understand respect and boundaries.  I don’t think it’s necessary to beat children, but consistent discipline is definitely required!  I’ve got too many horror stories of tweens and teens who think that everything exists for their benefit, and it’s disgusting to me.  From the kids who think that riding their bikes into people in a crowd and cursing anyone who tries to correct them, to the ones who pull toys off shelves and create messes to those who scream when told, “no,” I honestly an frustrated.  I know that it’s tiring to parent; I know that children are autonomous beings and they need to be able to express themselves, but a huge part is getting them to be functional, productive members of society.

This comes up because some entitled youth took it upon themselves to destroy public property — artistic pieces on display — and their explanation was, “why not?  What’s the big deal?” I was livid when I saw this on the news, and I thought that their parents (they were in their late teens) should be charged for creating criminals… but I’m sure the parents would say, “he’s a good boy, he just got in with a bad crowd.”  I’m stunned at how many “bad elements” parents see but don’t do anything about, and how many of these kids are described as “good at heart” when they’ve admitted to damaging property!

That’s my rant du jour… sorry.  I shouldn’t be allowed to watch the news because there’s so little that’s positive or encouraging about it.  To balance out the negativity, I’ll go cuddle the little black dog who needs his tummy rubbed and who is “starving” because there’s only dog food for him, no shares of my chicken salad sandwich!  Good night! 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!