Back to Canada

I’m typing this while we’re cruising at 11,400m and we’re just west of Hamilton, Bermuda.  We saw a moonrise through the window (in my case, by craning my neck to see around the people in front of the starboard window) and it’s now dark, except for the navigation lights that are flashing on the wings.   Our check in and wait were painless — I was able to get a wheelchair quickly (thanks to my brother working at the airport, the guy who began pushing me, stayed with us until we got through security). We also got lounge access, so we were able to relax in a more comfortable area than the gate, We were seated really quickly for boarding, and happily we have an empty seat in the row, so we’re all alone and have a bit of room.  Win, win and win!  Jerry was studiously ignoring me when I called this morning, and I know I have a lot of work to do to make up for leaving him that long!!  Don was nice enough not to growl at me for waking him up again — I will adjust to the time change, I’m sure!  I just hate it, though, when the clocks go back because then it feels like the whole day is spent in darkness! 

 

It was hard leaving Trinidad after the last week.  I was just adapting to seeing family and friends after that lengthy absence, and now it’s time to go back!  My dad said, almost pitifully , “don’t wait so long next time.”  I replied that I certainly hoped that we wouldn’t go back into a lockdown, because that’s what caused the dreadful delay!!  I had a visit this morning from my aunt and uncle, bringing some goodies for me… and there might have been something for my sister, too.  I hope I packed it to give to her 😈.   I was also able to speak to a couple of friends who I hadn’t been able to meet on this trip because it was so short.  


It is now officially more than 10 years since my original diagnosis. November 9 was the surgery and we have marked the day. I encourage you all to celebrate with me - I had a glass of champagne on the flight!  Stand by for more formal celebrations 😘


You all realize that I had a wonderful visit, and squeezed in as many visits as I could.  I wasn’t able to get over to Tobago, which saddens me — Tobago is one of my favourite parts of being home, plus there are more people who have moved over there for me to see.  The pace of life is very different, much slower than Trinidad, which is fabulous for a break, and frustrating for work!  As much as I loved my visit, each time I’m home I’m reminded that I couldn’t return here to live.  Visit, definitely.  Several times a year, in fact, if it came to that, but living there would frustrate me after a quarter century in Canada.   I was being teased again about my insistence on clock time, versus Trini time, but my friends from my teen years will confirm that I was equally uptight about time then!  I’ll get antsy if we agree on a time and people start to trickle in over a half hour later.  Although, honestly, being too rigid about time just leads to stress, which is why regular home visits are important!


I’m at my sister’s now; we landed, had a dreadful delay from the wheelchair support people, so it was almost 2 hours to leave the airport. Our friend was there to meet us (what an angel!) and he drove us home. My niece woke up when we arrived and had to join us. She was happy to see me but more excited for her new toy carriage!  Anyway, it’s way past bedtime (had to charge my devices to post) so I bid you Good night!



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!