Cooler

We went from midsummer back to early spring; the temperature dropped closer to seasonal today.  It’s still mild enough to have the door open, but it’s definitely a sweater day, as compared to yesterday, which was shorts and sandals weather.  I was a little tired today, which isn’t too surprising after yesterday, but it was fully manageable.  My boys are doing well, and were up and about this morning — I think part of that is to eat as many of the sugar-packed items that entered the house during my absence, so there’s likely to be a sugar crash one day soon.  If I sound unsympathetic , it’s because I’ve seen this before, and some people don’t seem to learn from their mistakes. 😜  Jerry was actively exploring everything when I was on the phone, except for me.  He pushed on the screen to knock the phone away.  I really have to wonder if he’s deliberately sulking and therefore I may need to re-assess his actions in a more personified manner.  I’m looking forward to being back with them, even though I am enjoying my time with the little ones.

I was woken up this morning by a book of trucks being placed on my tummy — that’s a switch from a small black dog — then I had 2 small children and a dog on my lap to read stories.  I will never object to the reading, even as I try to broaden some of their choices, so I’m perfectly happy to read on command.  We’ve worked out a routine where I start one of their favourites and they tell me parts of the story.  It’s quite fun, and even more since my nephew sings some of the rhymes so all I need to do is start one.  We watched Lion King and Winnie the Pooh today; we had some cuddles while watching the heffalump and I was told strongly that “Scar is a BAD, BAD boy!  Naughty!”  I’m struggling badly, as I want to laugh, and they are very serious when they’re telling me these things!  Auntie was a kiddie cushion, a drawing table and a singalong partner this afternoon.

My elder niece was working on her scholarship application process yesterday so we were handling some of the details; I’ve got some “homework” to do on my part to assist.   She also went hiking this morning, starting around 6am, up to a waterfall.  She said that it was a lot of fun, and I got a few photos.  We had a lovely long chat today, and once we’d covered the essentials for her application, it was all about fun things and nothing in particular.  She is looking forward to the end of exams, when she and some of her friends will be headed off on their first every “girls’ weekend” at the beach.  I was getting more info on that; I’m delighted for her, as she’s missed so many teenage events due to the pandemic.  

My dad is doing well; he was a bit shaken up by his fall, but he’s unhurt.  We’ve made some changes at home to help keep him safer.  My brother made sure to remove obstacles (a rug in particular) to reduce the risk of his falling.  We spoke today, so I could reassure myself that he’s well.  It’s the same thing he does with me, as he doesn’t seem to believe that I’m doing ok unless he can see me.  Not too surprising, right?

While we were out yesterday we stopped at a gluten-free bakery that my sister had heard about.  We’re still trying to find options for my nephew that he’ll enjoy.  They are 100% gluten-free and don’s allow any outside food into the premises to maintain the integrity (and their certification).  They had a selection of desserts that are also dairy-free and some that are vegan.  I was stunned that the pleasant lady behind the counter said, with a straight face, “the white bread is $13, the multigrain is $14…”  That’s 3 times the price of “regular” bread!  We tried a muffin, brownie and some cookies.  They’re a little too sweet for my preference, and the chocolate chip cookies taste like Chips Ahoy! (which I don’t especially like)  If only gluten wasn’t concealed in so many foods, it would be much easier for everyone.  These are some options for the occasional treat, even more as they are so expensive.  

It’s puzzle building time, where there are several floor puzzles that little people can do alone but they enjoy having competition and help, so I’ll leave as I’m apparently needed for assistance.  Good night!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!