Gloria

Gotta love my friend L, who shared his haul of mangoes with me.  Fresh mangoes, direct from the Caribbean are one of life’s greatest pleasures.  These were picked 2 days ago, and we shared one last night and I greedily ate one today (it was a bit over-ripe, but I’m not the type to discard mangoes!) I shared photos with Don, and said that if I happened to get more closer to when I return home, I’d be only too happy to share with him.  He agreed with me, and I’m thrilled at having them.  Don complained of having an upset tummy today, and I was worried, until he explained that it was from having 2 large servings of a turkey dinner very late last night.  Sympathy was a bit reduced then 😁  When I spoke to them today, Jerry was quiet, just guarding him and glaring at me on the phone.  He’s never pleased with this concept of me not being there with them, and he tries to knock the phone away when he can.  Funnily enough, when I called this morning, Don was indisposed, but Jerry heard the phone and ran to get him.  He doesn’t normally do that, and he didn’t do it when anyone else called; I’d like to think that he’s psychic and missing me, but reality does pop its head up.

The small people are being very sweet and engaging.  Saturdays they have swimming lessons, and today there was an exhibit at the fire station for little ones, so they went there after class.  I stayed home and tried to recover a bit more — the pain stubbornly persists in not going!  I hope that I can begin reducing the dosage of my pain meds back to where it was on Wednesday morning! — They came home full of excitement at having seen a fire engine and being able to go into the cab of the truck.  I’d promised to crochet a butterfly for my niece yesterday, and said that I’d have it ready when she got home from swimming… her second statement (after the fire engine) was “Did you finish my butterfly?”  I did.  She’s super thrilled at having her very own butterfly that was made for her because “Auntie loves me.” (I love her self-assurance!)  We’ll turn it into either a brooch or a hair clip, she hasn’t decided yet, but it’s an easy adjustment.  In her view, gifts for her mean gifts for her brother, so I’ve now been commissioned to make him a crochet car.  The things I agree to do for them! (I’m looking for patterns… plus I only have 1 colour of wool with me (I’d intended to continue with my tablecloth a bit more) so that limits my options further.  They’re now happily dancing along to a kiddie show after we read (the same book 10 times!!), built a puzzle and had a tea picnic.  Our little mutual adoration society is developing nicely, for which I’m delighted.  I love how they get concerned about stressing my back and ensuring that I’m not too tired.  She told me that I should nap with her this afternoon so I wouldn’t be too tired later.  

Tonight’s service is the biggest in the Church’s year.  I have always absolutely loved it even though it’s also the longest of any services.  Normally, there will be a reading from the Old Testament, a Psalm, one from the New Testament and the Gospel of the day (all part of the “liturgy of the word” which is the first half of a Mass.) Tonight has 7 readings from the Old Testament, each with a psalm, a New Testament reading and the Gospel.  Also, on a weekend the Saturday and Sunday mass is usually the same; not tonight.  There’s a specific Saturday rite, which completes the third part of the Triduum, then a Mass at Dawn and a Mass in the Morning of Easter Sunday.  When I was more active and able to fully participate, I absolutely loved all three of them.  These days, well, it’s a very different situation.  But I’m happy that I have a communion host for tomorrow, so that I can fully participate in the service.  Easter is just such a wonderful experience, especially when you contrast Friday — Jesus being laid in the borrowed tomb, unannointed because of the start of the Sabbath, and the sealing of the tomb.  All indicative of sorrow, loss, death.  Then we begin with the lighting of the Paschal fire, and the reminder of the light of the world, that light triumphs over darkness.  It’s a theme repeated in every religion, in which we’re reminded that death is not final, that darkness and evil cannot conquer, and that light will always triumph.  So beautiful.

Yesterday my niece had me watching Beauty and the Beast in which I was not particularly interested.  Then came the scene (warning — spoilers!  Although if you haven’t seen this movie in its 30 years of existence, and are unfamiliar with the tale, I really can’t help you.) in which Gaston (the villain of the piece) whips up the villagers into a frenzy to attack the Beast.  It’s always disturbed me, because it’s something that’s wrong on so many levels, but the crowd goes along with it.  I think I’m also upset because it’s fairly realistic.  Mobs seem to form easily and tip into violence with little provocation! Online mobs seem to form with even more terrifying ease, as there are so many people who viciously attack any questioners.  The horde seem to blindly repeat their learned lines, and insult anyone with a different opinion.  The concept of an exchange of ideas is gone, replaced by abuse and threats.  I’ll say this often — having a difference of opinion is respectable and to be encouraged.  It is not ever appropriate to threaten someone with physical harm or death just because they disagree with you.  I’d add that it’s essential to examine your actions and thinking to be sure that you haven’t fallen into a mob mentality so you don’t get swept into a situation that’s unpleasant or potentially dangerous.  Personally, I’ve never been in favour of picket lines or large demonstrations, but I do understand that there are moments when that kind of disruption is needed — but there aren’t any conditions under which destruction of property or harm to people is acceptable.  

I’ll stop; the mob mentality played a large role in the Easter story, and there are all sorts of consequences that were long lasting.  On this side of the story, we should be aware of the role of light, love and care and strive to always contribute to the balance of good in the world.  I think that some small people are beginning to get tired, and it’s perhaps timely to prepare them for sleep.  Good night!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!