First Friday

What a lovely week this is!  Except for our weekly tornado (one touched down south of us last night) and thunderstorms with hail, it’s been reasonably mild with lower humidity.  Unfortunately, due to the storms, there was quite a bit of damage last night, piled on top of damage from the other tornadoes this summer.  I’m grateful that we’re unaffected, as are my friends, except for some minor hail damage to a friend’s car.  Jerry has been very active and talkative today; he jumped on my lap when I first sat in the chair this morning, and had to be evicted a few times.  He doesn’t approve of his eviction notices 😝 and proceeds to complain.  He’s also decided that I’m not allowed to use the bathroom unaccompanied, and follows me in — when evicted (as he always is!) he sits outside and growls from time to time.  Don was feeling pretty good today, and had a better than usual appetite, eating a pretty large meal at lunch.  That’s good to see, and I rather like him returning an empty plate.  Jerry disagrees, as he likes to be able to mooch off him, but he was unsuccessful today!

I’m still floating on air after yesterday’s news, so I’m smiling randomly.  Don’s happily bragging to everyone, and I’m happy to let him.  I did manage to eat a reasonable amount today, and I went out to lunch with my dear friend where we celebrated the news.  Note: Minute Maid lemonade is almost pure syrup!  I didn’t realize that was what was on offer, as previously that restaurant had advertised freshly made lemonade.  I also like Brisk (lemonade, not iced tea) which is quite tasty and has a little less sugar than some other brands.  Here ends the free advertisement for drinks 😆 

On the way home yesterday we stopped at a farm stand where I bought some corn, tomatoes and cucumbers and then stopped because the bag was almost too heavy to lift!  This morning I decided to cook the corn, and it’s delicious!!!!  Very fresh, with lovely full peaches and cream kernels.  This is the only time of year that I wouldn’t mind living in the Niagara region, because of the fruit!  We get local stuff here, but not things like peaches or nectarines as they don’t thrive here.  Berries, apples, plums — yes, but not the selection available further south.  Pity; we do get in the supermarkets, but not at the farm stands, and they’re not as good as locally picked fruit.  I do tend to buy local produce in season because it’s less expensive to start with, and because it’s tastier since it hasn’t been trucked for hundreds of kilometres.  I don’t buy tropical fruit here because IMO they are tasteless, mind-bogglingly expensive and when I’m in the tropics, I don’t buy berries for the same reason.  The only non-local fruit that I’d buy is citrus (here) and apples (tropics)  On a mildly related note, my support worker gifted me a large zucchini from one of her coworkers and it was wonderful.  Honestly, it seems that getting stuff fresh off the plant improves flavour by orders of magnitude!  Obviously I’ve been eating more of the fresh stuff when it’s available, never mind my dietitian’s recommendations about getting more calorie-dense foods.  Yummy fresh stuff is, well, yummy!

I’m off to eat some corn and something else as I’m getting hungry and I don’t want to leave it too long.  The boys are both napping on the sofa, so I’ll tiptoe quietly to avoid waking the tiny dictator for a few minutes.  Good night!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!