cor ad cor loquitur

 BunnyGuess what I saw today?  I was out, and persuaded my keeper to let me be outside instead of climbing stairs.  So I was able to see this baby rabbit, very trusting, on the side of the plants, munching on some roots.  I know that the therapist who looks after me had some ideas ofwhat we should be doing, I asked that I work on my goal of walking to the butterfly garden myself. I made it partway there before common sense kicked in for me. I walked uphill almost halfway before I decided to stop because I knew that if I stopped then restarting would be a risky proposition.  This paid off by being able to see young Peter Cottontail!   

My afternoon session was indoors as it was raining, so I did some stairs and walked with my cane.  I dozed quite a bit this afternoon, so the day passed pleasantly enough.  I had another shower, and I was able to dress myself in my own things!  

Me, Jun 21, 2021

It seems that my pain is definitely increased when there’s increased heat and humidity which is not a good indication for an Ottawa summer break, and even worse for a trip to Trinidad. It will be a challenge to be sure! But my priority will be to be able to meet my new nephew who celebrates his first birthday in August. So that may be my first trip, stairs included!  My summer plans include several short trips to visit family and friends which will build my endurance and let me bond with kids. That’s what I consider a well spent holiday!  Yes, it hasn’t even started yet! 😆😆

I’m looking at my photo and I’m seeing everything that is wrong with it.  You lovely people will tell me a collection of tales of how I look fine.  I’m choosing to believe you tonight, so thanks 😊 

I was reading my meditation for today, and I need to share parts of it with you. The central part is from Matthew 7:1-2 Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgment you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.“

All our judging – positive and negative – is about ourselves. It has become commonplace in the interpretation of dreams to say that every element in the dream represents something in oneself. This is easy enough to accept. But it is harder to accept when someone wants to apply it to our waking life too. 

“What the sayer of praise is really praising Is himself, by saying implicitly, 'My eyes are clear.' Likewise, someone who criticises is criticising himself, saying implicitly, 'I can't see very well with my eyes so inflamed.'”

Jelaluddin Rumi (1207 – 1273)

A genuinely religious person doesn’t sit in judgment on others, but there are people who identify with religion in order to be able to condemn others. This is the stuff that the Pharisees were made of, and it is still widely available.  How often have we judged others for their choice?  

What or whom do you hate? Look again now. This time look at the hate itself. What is it about? Look also at what you approve. What are the things and who are the people you approve of? What are you really approving? What is it about? I guarantee that you will see your own ego everywhere.   

“The measure you give is the measure you will get!” How are we to understand what he is saying here? Rephrase it. The measure you give is the only measure you are capable of receiving. If you think small you think small: you look down at your feet in the hope of finding a penny on the ground. And you stoop low, you stoop to pick it up. Likewise if you think small of people, you will see only small irritating things. ‘Think big!’ Jesus is telling us. Open up your heart, your mind, your hopes, your soul. To judge others is to trim them to your own measure and to short change both you and them.  

Is it possible to open up ourselves to accept others and accept their differences?  Can we see them as fully human, separate from ourselves but still part of the human race?  Can we open up our hearts and accept them as beautiful but separate individuals?  Can we welcome them?  It’s a big demand.  There are some that are easier than others, and I admit that I would really battle with some situations. Meanwhile, let’s open up our hearts and do our best to welcome those in our lives already. Let’s show them that they are truly loved by us and we we do love them deeply.  Our appreciation goes a long way to ensuring that people realize how much we value them.

Comments

  1. It’s hard not to judge because that is our nature, but we must keep striving to be better. We are a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!