Better-ish

 It’s a sad thing that I can’t handle heat and humidity!  I was “born and raised in a briar patch, Brer Fox” (or at least on an island just north of the Equator smack dab in the middle of the tropics) so I should be able to cope with temperatures of 30C… however, this condition with which I live has made it very challenging to deal with it.  The last couple of days, I’ve had nausea during the hot part of the day, and lost my appetite, plus I swelled up like someone inflated a balloon in me.  I’m temporarily banned from taking the tiny monster out, because he pulls and then I wind up with back and shoulder pain.  And it gets hard to breathe… ain’t that just fun?  No, I didn’t think so either!

The little monster is not happy with the heat either.  But he’s been moving as usual from Don to me and back again, enjoying the breeze from the fans.  He’s been gnawing on the bones from a T-bone steak that Don cooked, and trotting around with it in his mouth, looking very proud of himself.  Don’s doing a little better, although his legs and feet are still painful.  

I’ve been watching some murder mysteries recently.  Some are “cozy” mysteries, in which ordinary people manage to gather evidence that the police overlook and solve the crime a few steps ahead of them.  The concept of “cozy” is definitely accurate, since you can easily watch them and play on your phone and do other things without losing the thread.  Compare with other “realistic” shows that require that you actually pay attention or you’re terminally confused.  Watching these gives rise to a few questions:  How realistic is it that so many people are killed in sleepy little towns, population of 100?  Just how inept are the police that they miss significant clues?  How does an annoying, interfering sleuth manage to get strangers to spill their darkest secrets at their first meeting before they order coffee?  Why haven’t the annoying, interfering sleuths been charged with being a complete public nuisance and thrown into a jail somewhere?  As my niece and godchildren will attest, I have lots of questions, and will ask them long after it’s clear that I won’t get any answers!  

I do enjoy the mysteries, and they are great for whiling away a boring afternoon, even if they’re not really credible.  I’ve read some “cozy mystery” books as well, and they’re even less believable, but can be read in about an hour as they’re so light and fluffy!  I think that I can trace my affection for these back to my early reading of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books… imagine my disappointment to learn that they were written by committee dating all the way back to the 1930s!  Although it’s nice to know that they’re still being published, and a whole new generation can meet them.  I’ve got a mixture of those books dating across a couple of decades, and Nancy’s car and clothes are updated, but not a lot more.  I haven’t read any of the newest incarnations, where I’m sure that she has an IG / TikTok / Twitter account and is probably an influencer.  Maybe when I grow up some more I’ll be inclined to watch “serious” shows and read analyses of killers, but I have no real interest in “Making of a Murderer” and I’m much more entertained by “Father Brown.” 

I’m off to sleep now, or at least to try to get comfortable and rest.  The pain in my back has reduced a bit (meds kicked in) so I’ll get comfy while I can.  Good night!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!