Escape!

Yesterday, for reasons unknown, I was feeling nauseous with a headache — it’s been YEARS since the last headache — so I took myself off early.  Today marks my “resurrection” day — after the operation 8 years ago, I spent almost a week in a medically induced coma.  I woke up on July 13 to see Don and my sister Helga sitting on either side of me (what a great way to wake up!) with a tube down my throat (less spectacular) so I couldn’t talk.  But it’s another one of those milestones that I celebrate, and this is pretty much a resurrection; although it was longer than 3 days, and not quite 9, so I’m neither Jesus nor Odin!  To mark the day, my sister-friend “kidnapped” me and took me to this lovely spot along the Ottawa river.  We spent a couple of hours there, and it was a perfect day, with sun but a cool breeze and no humidity.  Here’s part of the view, just to share with you.  Jerry was very annoyed that I went out without him, especially since today was the monthly fire alarm test.  When I got back, he promptly jumped into my lap and would shadow me everywhere.  He’s lying on my feet now, just waiting for any hint that I might move.  Don’s doing OK, and I’m not teasing him about walking like an old man… his birthday is next week, and that will do better than I would at calling him “old” 🤣 

I used to tease my mother about her “uniform” — she would wear the same 3 - 4 dresses daily.  When they had been worn for a couple of days, they went into the wash, then when they came out, she’d wear them again.  When she came to visit me, at least 2 would make the trip.  My aunt does the same thing, and I tease her about that too.  My argument was that they had other clothes in their wardrobes, so they could vary their “home clothes” a little.  No luck.  They stubbornly stuck to their “uniform” rotation, and maybe every 4 years, a “new” dress would move from a “going out” dress to a “home dress.”  Because they raised me, I also have the habit of “going out” and “at home” dresses.  My work and other “out” clothes get changed as soon as I get in, and the home stuff is worn on an average day and never goes through my front door.  Anyway, after my retirement, when I was more or less confined to the house, I was in my home clothes more often.  I bought a couple of summer dresses to add to those, and moved some of my “work” clothes to the donation bin (and donated them to Dress for Success Ottawa,) but never thought about clothes again.  (For a retired clothes horse, that says a LOT!!). Anyway, a few months ago, I realized that I had a home uniform too!!  I wear the same 5 dresses on a cycle!  I was surprised and stunned when it dawned on me (because I needed to do laundry and realized that 3 of my “regular” dresses were in the wash.) I can no longer tease my aunt about her wearing a “uniform” at home, because I do the same thing.

I shouldn’t be too stunned, because I’ve copied my mother in several ways over the years.  I guess that it’s true that we do turn into our parents.  Which, if your parents are a good example, is nothing to sneeze at!  But the older I get, the more I find myself doing or saying something that my mother did.  When she was alive, I teased her about her habits and told her that I didn’t need her to go shopping with me all the time.  She was one of the type who would ask, “do you really need that?” for every item that I picked up, and she loved wandering through kitchenware stores (as do I, now) just to window shop.  I admitted to her that it was a good habit to have, as it let me save money and avoid frivolous purchases, although I’d sometimes indulge.  

The uniforms aren’t too bad, and I do dispose of clothes that have unrepairable holes (I will mend most tears / lost buttons / worn sleeves, etc) so they do change from time to time, and like many others, I have some items in my closet that still have price tags on them, but I’m now working on reducing those.  I had to overcome a few mental blocks to do something about that, but I think it’s better now.

That’s all for now.  My very enjoyable afternoon kidnapping has left me a little tired, so I’m heading in to sleep.  Be good, and sweet dreams.  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!