Baking

Chag Urim Sameach! 

It was a little snowy today, but cold, windy and the snow on the ground has become ice. The effect of near-zero daytime and well below freezing at night! Jerry is reduced to a quick trip out because he refuses to wear boots and a coat, but he's also being exceptionally protective and barks at everything. He's on warning that he will have to wear his shock collar (it vibrates and beeps but he hates it) if he persists in his noise. Don is fine. I got him to watch the World Cup finals-I really dislike it when games at that level are reduced to shootouts! It's not an individual sport after all-then he got to watch hockey and an NFL game, so he's happy. Meanwhile, I'm recording some Christmas movies to binge on this week, so I'm happy! I also made a batch of sweet bread. now happily cooling in the kitchen.

I was talking to a friend who admitted to never having seen "It's a Wonderful Life! I started to tease him, but revised that since I haven't seen hundreds of other "classic" movies. (To reduce potential mockery, I'm remaining mum on that list, except to acknowledge its existence.) That led me to wonder what factors come into play to make one oeuvre into a perennial favourite to be replayed often. and another similar piece fades into obscurity. Just a few examples: of the hundreds of songs released in 1982, Africa by Toto is easily recognized and still very popular 40 years later! As a culture, we also know, and quote, a number of lines from movies-" We're not in Kansas anymore!" being one of them. L. Frank Baum wrote several books about Oz, most of which are out of print and only found on Project Gutenberg. And so on. I haven't been able to identify any unique, repeatable factors that would assure longevity of a particular work. Even considering "classical" music-why, for instance, is the Blue Danube so much more popular and well known than, say, Mephisto's Call from Hell? (other than the name.) They are both waltzes by Strauss - the same Strauss-with the signature quick step of the Viennese style, they're both sweeping, intricate and evocative. But I'm willing to bet you're probably never heard one and you can hum the other easily! (me too. I only heard Mephisto because I was streaming waltzes and it came up.)

In full disclosure, I often think that movie reviews are nuts. They award stars to movies that I don't enjoy, and decry some that are actually enjoyable. I've decided "to each their own" where these reviews are concerned, but I'm still bemused at how some become favourites. If anyone can enlighten me, I'm eager to learn.

I'm off to get some rest (and a slice of sweetbread !) and play with a small, black, stretched- out puppy who is looking up at me trying to persuade me that he needs to come on my lap. Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!