Diets

Snow! Snow! Snow! It's not a clip from "Holiday Inn,"it's what's been happening since around 10pm yesterday. We've had about 15 cm so far, and there's more on the way. It was also a windy morning-the wind has calmed a bit, making it a winter's day. (Technically, winter doesn't start until Wednesday at the solstice.) His tiny bossiness has been in and out several times, leaving footprints on the balcony. He goes out, realizes that it's cold and snowy, nags to come back in, sees the snow blowing around and asks to go back out. I 'm seriously thinking that he will need his own door so I don't have to keep opening the sliding door every 5 minutes. Don is feeling better-his aches and pains have faded. He's been watching the snow piling up, being grateful that he doesn't need to shovel. As am I, and that I've never received (or needed) the "Canadian woman's ultimate gift" of a snow shovel!

My day started with a call from a dietician. That was arranged by the health network to try to slow my rate of weight loss. Sidebar: as you know, all of my life I've struggled with being overweight. I had tried every weight loss program known, and always regained anything I lost. Now, though, I need to. reverse everything they taught so I can stop losing so quickly. That’s the cancer, and she explained that it has a high metabolic rate so my nutrients get diverted. After our talk, I realized that I have some issues related to food and eating that I need to be aware of as we progress We spoke for almost an hour, and agreed that our main goals are:

    1. Slow down my rate of weight loss;
    2. Increase my caloric and nutritional intake;
    3. Reduce my fluid intake by 30% (from 3.5L to 2.5L daily) and
    4. Change to eating small.frequent meals.

I told her what I'd eaten yesterday. and as I spoke, it hit me that I've finally hit the 1000 calories/day limit from when I was a teen! I said to her that I'd half expected her to tell me to stop eating meat, or to increase my intake of "miracle" foods. She said that balance is the key to a successful program. She added that it's discouraging to see how easily misinformation spreads, since suddenly everyone thinks they're experts after doing a quick Google search. We agreed that the main reasons for eating are enjoyment and sustenance, and while food has medicinal properties, it is not a treatment by itself. In summary, if your main/only reason for eating a food is because of potential "health benefits" or disease cures, you're doing it wrong! So I'll continue eating and drinking the things I enjoy, regardless of who thinks I should focus on putative cures. I won't stop eating, say, mangoes because someone says they have cancer-fighting properties, (I really like mangoes!) but I equally won't start eating, eg, tofu (which I dislike intensely) The foods to which I have an allergy I will continue to avoid like-I was going to say "the plague" but the last 2.5 years have shown that a disturbingly large portion of adults actively seek out instances of the plague and use several half-baked, nonsensical excuses for defying common sense! I need another comparison, please, amazing people! Anyway, that means no beef for me, because I don't want to end up hospitalized. !

This afternoon I got a call from the Community Care nurse, trying to help me find a family doctor. As I've previously explained, my G.P. retired last December, and Don and I have been without a family practitioner since. She was very charming and chatty, and I was honestly ready to ask her to meet for a coffee! An hour later, she'd provided me with 4 possibilities and we have a follow-up call before Christmas. Fingers crossed that I can get this resolved before January!

That's it for now.. The snow is calling for a hot chocolate or a cocoa-tea (I have all the necessities! Except the enamel mug, which is traditional) I'm off to make a cup-or pot-and enjoy this stormy, snowy night under the watchful guardianship of tiny. teddy-bear boot button eyes. (He won't let me hug Don!) Good night all!


Comments

  1. Keep warm and cozy..I had a fun shpping day with your two lovelies ..happy and so tired... nite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so generously my friend, stay warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!