Movie night

It snowed today... I was on video chat with some of my European friends, who showed that their street was snowy, and another who said that her husband had called her outside to show her that it was snowing. I said that we hadn't any yet, but not 10 minutes later I looked one at a heavy fall. I haven't gone out yet. but it looks like it will lie. Jerry has gone exploring on the balcony, but he returns to complain about his cold toes, then he wants out again. Don is doing well overall. He gets out of breath quickly (This is why, kiddies, you should not smoke!) and has been using the fan to help his breathing. I'm really pleased that he's fine. I spent a part of today sorting through some old clothes, and have the start of a donation bag. This was inspired by my cousin T, who cleared her closet, and I felt that I needed to do the same. I pulled out one storage box and found several gifts that I'd bought but not given- so that saves some shopping this year! I've decided to get my Christmas groceries done ASAP so I'm not battling crowds closer to the day. The only last- minute items might be fruits and they can probably be postponed to the New Year.  We’ll see-I guarantee that I won't over-exert myself.

I was channel surfing and came across that hoary favourite, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" I turned it on in place of a boring sport game (I have temporary control of the remote) and settled in to watch it. I'm obviously older than the target audience, and I haven't watched this in ages, but my views on it have changed. At one point, upon learning that Rudolph has vanished, Donner (did you know he was Rudolph's father?) refuses to allow Vixen (his wife) and Clarice (Rudolph's friend) to help search, because searching is "a man's job, it's not for girls." That slid past me as a child, but stands out now. The girls (any female, regardless of age) need to stay home and make snacks. The elves, too, are all male. Mrs. Claus appears twice-both times in the kitchen, cooking.

Rigid gender-roles aside, though, there were some lovely messages about love, friendship, acceptance and breaking stereotypes in the story. The "Abominable Snowman" changed from an object of fear to a friend who placed the star at the top of the tree; the misfit toys get homes and are no longer excluded, and, of course, "the other reindeer" celebrate Rudolph.

I prefer the "classic" Christmas movies in general, although the plots tend to be one of these:

- "Oh no! Santa can't deliver presents! Christmas will be ruined!"
- "Santa is sick/injured/ missing! Christmas will be ruined!"
- "Little Billy-Bobby-Johnny doesn't believe in Santa; Christmas will be ruined!"
- "We need to show the true meaning of Christmas: Presents, family, food and expensive presents."
- "I can't find the absolute perfect present; Christmas will be ruined without a gift!"

Do I sound cynical? I apologize. I love the season, I do. And I have my traditions of movies that I watch on repeat- White Christmas; Scrooge (1951 version, with about 5 others); Miracle on 34th St (1947); It's a Wonderful Life; How the Grinch stole Christmas (1966) - and the animated movie-length (2018)- A Muppet Family Christmas (plus a few other Muppet ones) and Yes, Virginia (1974)

Heck-I seem to be both a cynic and stuck in a pre-1980-TV show rut! Does anyone have a holiday/Christmas movie that they enjoy and want to share?  I’d be open to enhancing my movie list.  Meanwhile, I’m going to watch one of the A Christmas Carol movies I enjoy, and connect my DVD player so I can watch some other movies that aren’t available for streaming but are in my library.  Good night!







Comments

  1. We're No Angels - Humphrey Bogart and Peter Ustinov

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!