Snow

I saw this cartoon today, and just had to share it.  Part of me thinks that it would be a great idea, if I could clone myself, transfer all my memories and just do twice as much stuff.  One of me would work, one would travel, one would do… I’m not exactly sure, but if all the clones could share memories and experiences, I could theoretically be everywhere all at once, seeing and learning things.  No, that’s not being a god, it’s just expanding my experiences.  And if one clone is damaged or destroyed (dies) the others would all have her memories, so the sum of knowledge would not decrease.  I’m sure that there are limitations to this idea, which I’m happily overlooking as I fantasize about a cohort of me!  Discuss among yourselves why this is such an amazing idea and why I’m the person to do this.  😝.  I woke up very late this morning — apparently, a series of early mornings and difficulty falling asleep leave me exhausted and sluggish.  I am not liking this, honestly, because I have many ambitions of things I’d like to do and my energy doesn’t meet those plans.  Jerry has been suspicious of my movements; he monitors me and stays close whenever I leave the room.  Don also spent some time relaxing, because he was also up and driving for the last few days, so was tired.  I’m relieved that we don’t have to do things like shovel snow or anything like that, and I’m super thankful for my support worker, who will help with things like unloading and packing groceries!  

I’m going to have to raise a point again, and I’m sorry that I’ll probably be on my little soapbox… maybe I should add a tag to warn when I’m ranting?  Thoughts?  Anyway, I got a message sent on from someone which started off as follows:


After doing some investigations, it turned out that apricot seeds contain vitamin B17. While being treated for cancer, I ate 10 grams of <supposed miracle food (SMF)> three times a day.  After eating <SMF> for one month, my doctor checked my bladder for cancer. He was surprised because my bladder was completely clean and normal. […] So why not try eating <SMF> to treat your cancer?

A 1-second search on Google for “B17 cancer” turned up the following information from the UK Cancer Research Centre:

Laetrile (aka B17) is promoted as an alternative cancer treatment. There is not enough reliable evidence that it works.

The rest of the article goes on to explain that “B17” isn’t really a vitamin, and that it produces cyanide when the body processes it.  It also explains that in 2015 the Cochrane Library did a study on whether this was effective for cancer treatment, and concluded that it was unambiguously negative for use as a cancer treatment.  

I get far too many of these types of messages.  I usually realize what they’re saying in the first couple of lines, and consign them to the trash; if I get several from the same sender, they’re added to my blocked list.  I appreciate that the motivation is concern and a desire to help, and for that I am thankful.  I appreciate that people care enough to want to share things that might be helpful.  I would, though, prefer that people review material before sharing.  In addition to these “health” messages, I also get emails and posts asking that I “click like and share” suggesting that somehow this helps others.  It’s really the absolute least that someone could do… “I clicked like on a picture, so I cured cancer!”  Really?  “I didn’t shave for a month.  I’m a cancer curing hero!”  🤨  

My request is simple.  Before forwarding an email, check that its contents are legitimate.  Don’t send on alleged “miracle” cures — unless they come notarized by His Holiness and are accompanied by 3 cardinals, 5 archbishops, 10 priests, a shaman, a rabbi and 2 pundits, all in person, who will confirm the miracle.  Otherwise, consider that it’s a hoax, being circulated by people with questionable morals and values.  I also know that it’s difficult to know what to do, or perhaps you’re physically too distant (in another country or city) to be able to assist.  I’d suggest that you keep in touch with the person; emails (that do not tout supposed miracle cures) or letters and cards.  It’s better to send material from legitimate, peer-reviewed sources.  I do get articles like that from some friends, notably my “doc” who sometimes forwards potential studies of interest, which are definitely inspiring.  Those are acceptable, as are the offers of prayers that I receive.

I’m sorry for the rant.  I’m really fed up with the misinformation that circulates, and I know that I can’t correct it all, nor can I expect that I can get people to change their behaviour or beliefs.  I know that it’s my choice how I react to things, and I can ignore the things that annoy me that really don’t impact my life, but sometimes the effort I use to ignore that is detrimental to my overall store.  Now, I’m going to cuddle the puppy, recover some of my good humour and get some sleep.  Good night!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!