Heatwave

Happy Indian Arrival Day to everyone in Trinidad, and those of Trini heritage worldwide.  A little extra celebration of diversity as we mark almost 180 years since the first Indian labourers arrived in Trinidad to work in the cane fields after the Emancipation proclamation.  I’ll do the history lesson another time, but meanwhile, here we have a little groomed puppy, fresh from his summer trim.  He always looks so different when he’s been clipped, as he’s got a small body and long legs that aren’t as obvious when his thick winter coat is in place.  He’s also extra affectionate after his trim, so he’s been snuggling since he got back in the car.  His appointment was at 8am, so it was another early start today.  My nurse showed up at 7:30 yesterday, so I fell asleep for most of the afternoon.  Today I had a series of phone calls in the afternoon so no naps for me, but I’m optimistic that I’ll get a fairly early night!  Don was doing a lot today, and is now fast asleep.  It’s been tropically hot today, and the forecast is for hotter all week, so I’m getting my Trinidad weather here!  I still miss my friends (and fruit!) so it’s not exactly equivalent.  

I had my visit with my oncologist today; this was to discuss (among the other stuff) how the chemo is going.  I explained that I’d had a few side effects during the first few days, but it’s settled now (🤞) and we’ll continue, with follow up tests to be done during the summer.  Funnily enough, I got a call this afternoon from the pharmacy that handles this medication to follow up on me, so my monitoring system continues.  My arm is somewhat improved, but there are still moments of “ouch” if I make certain movements.  I’m happy to report that while my taste buds are shot, I’m having several small meals, so food is getting in, so that should make things better (and stop my dietitian from tsk-tsk-ing at me!)  Also, I’m pleased to advise that both ice cream and lemonade are safely in my kitchen, thanks to Don and P.  I had some of both (not together) this afternoon, both of which helped in coping with the heat!

Have you ever misheard the lyrics of a song?  I remember that there was a comedian whose routine was based on some misheard lyrics, but I’m finding that I mishear quite a lot of lyrics.  Admittedly they’re generally in songs that are in genres I am not fond of or in clips.  I’ve got (and use) closed captioning a lot on my TV, since we both find that the sound on the TV is erratic at best, so some shows will whisper and others will SHOUT without touching the volume, so closed captioning helps.  Anyway, there was a car ad that has a (rather annoying) jingle, which I heard as “Saturday is not a fun day” but it’s apparently something like “I was made to go against the grain” (according to the closed caption) I like my version better.  My niece would laugh at me, because I had these weird associations… there’s a  song with a chorus something like, “love is contagious” which I could have sworn was “loving potatoes” (I must have been hungry) Anyway, these days I have company, as the small people have started singing some of their favourites, and some of their interpretations are hilarious… like the popular, “head, shoulders, knees and toes” which is rendered by my little niece as, “head, shoulders, me toes me toes,” or “w, X, y, z, now I go by ABC, mix tape rubber play with me!”  

I’ll pause there as my phone has just reminded me that it’s time to eat.  The tiny boy is rooting around for his toy and will want to be cuddled so I’d better deal with my stuff first.  Good night!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!