quam bene non quantum

 

I'm waiting for my treatment at the moment. Every week (in my case, Tuesday afternoon) I'm checked by my radiation oncologist to ensure that I'm doing well and that there isn't anything that needs extra attention. I had to come in an hour early, as my appointment is the last of the day, and 30 minutes after the end of the doctor's shift. At least the chair is comfy and it reclines, so I'm in serious danger of falling asleep while I wait! My doctor is very French, Parisian, and we only talk in French. I've learned vocabulary for all sorts of terms that I don't know well in English, either. Learning experiences are always to be encouraged! But he, like most of the other cancer centre staff, has been caring for me for 8 + years.

Jerry and Don are waiting for me in the parkette, where Jerry can run around and bark at squirrels. He will be happy to climb in my lap when I'm done. (Spoiler:  he was and he did!)

My niece and I were having a discussion on what her plans are after she finishes school in 2 years. The immediate plan is University, but she's not sure of her path, or pretty much anything. I understand that! at her age (16) I wanted to be a doctor, I thought. It wasn't long before I admitted out loud that my interest was more about research, not treating. I really had no interest in doing things that involved blood/body fluids or dissection. One afternoon with our GP and I was very clear in my mind that I wasn't intended for medicine. I switched to computer science and chemistry, because they fascinated me. My jobs were more computer networks, which was initially great. then I found the nascent field of systems analysis and then project management, and I never looked back. I might, had I been able to work longer, have made another switch, but I don't know.

We agreed that our first step will be to identify the things that most excite her, then we'd begin to look at what options there were. we discussed creating jobs, but agreed that we'd first need a BIG IDEA, so she'll be keeping track of her ideas. In some ways, this is more challenging than when I was choosing university courses 34 years ago. In others, it's easier. But we'll work through the kinks and develop game plans! I'm trying to help her find a route to where she'd like to go! All good, ent?

Tomorrow's appointment is early; sigh. I hope that I can get some rest tomorrow. I'm really wiped, so I will take a break.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!