iuventuti nil arduum

I’m being a dog bed at the moment. I can’t move and the extent of what I’m allowed to do is pat the dog and cuddle him.  I’m typing with one finger, with an ear or a foot interrupting me.  I’m also getting rabbit kicks every so often… I exist just to keep the dog happy.  We were laughing hard earlier, because Jerry won’t let me hug Don, or vice versa.  He climbs onto Don’s shoulder and butts me away 😅🤣 When we realized that’s what he was doing, we laughed so hard that my knees gave way and Don had a bad coughing fit.

I’ve had a small jag of watching some “classic” TV… mainly mysteries, like Matlock and Columbo.  I don’t know what was the impetus for that, but I was amused at watching these old episodes.  Part is looking at how gender roles have shifted over time, and some more on cultural shifts… they now have warnings about smoking as being problematic.  Added to that are the “progressive” attitudes where women were assuming more leadership roles.    It surprises me how much we’ve changed in fairly short order.  More recent cop shows have women in a variety of roles, including as senior leaders, and it’s seamless for the most part.  In the older shows, while women may, and I stress may have held important roles, they were never squad captains or senior attorneys.  Most of them were in roles where they appeared on-screen in bikinis or brief skirts and they were love interests or scheming tarts.  Suits were masculine in cut, and gave no hint that the wearer was female.  And no matter how “plain” or “unattractive” a woman, removing her glasses and releasing her hair from the severe bun turns her into a model! What a damaging image for plain, pimply, overweight girls everywhere!  In fairness, though, neither Matlock nor Columbo did that to women.  Rarely did they ever have a woman as the villain of the piece.  I did try watching some of the older comedies, like Bewitched or I dream of Jeannie and I couldn’t.  They were so misogynistic that I couldn’t watch a full episode.  I’ll need to reassess the old favourites since some have fallen off so badly!

I’m dozing off while sitting here, so I think I’ll wrap up and head in… good night, my little pea pickers! XOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!