nec metu

My personal care worker was here today, so that means I got my hair washed!  Very excited about that.    I was able to eat some more of my leftovers, although I feel very full after a couple of bites.  I’ll work on that a little.  I wish that we were packing for trips instead of everyday hair washing, as that would be more exciting, but one thing at a time, right?  Jerry is very displeased that my lap is occupied by the iPad and not the small dog.  He’s trying to figure out how to make the switch without me noticing LOL He’s curled on the floor, licking himself and pretending to ignore me.  I know it’s pretence, because if I stop typing, or shift the iPad off my lap, he assumes the alert position ready to jump on my lap!  Don is feeling a bit more active today, which is good, and he’s also eating well, so I’m happy and relieved.

Can someone please explain the reluctance of (particularly) men to call the police when it’s necessary?  You have video with a clear picture of the porch thief, and rather than call and report it, you ask, “What can they do?”  I know that it can be a slow process to capture one of those low life people, but with a report (and a picture) one would think that you’d be happy to consider that the person might be closer to a criminal record and all the issues that brings.  But instead, they go on about how criminals have an easier life than regular citizens and how individuals are powerless to do anything.  Explain, please??

Today is International Women’s Day”  and my social media and email are flooded with memes about it.  The best one was the link to Helen Reddy’s I am Woman, a song that I absolutely love and which has always been so uplifting and inspiring.  There is only one other song that has that much of an effect, and that’s Sesame Street’s Women Can Be What does it say that my most powerful inspirations are from the 1970s?  I know that there are many, many other powerful songs since then, and so many examples of women accomplishing greatness that it’s almost (and I stress the “almost”) not necessary to look for role models (but thankfully there still are extraordinary examples for women, and especially for women of colour, women with disabilities, etc.). I know that there are still some people who will say, “What about men’s day?”  The answer is the same as for any of the other days or events to recognize achievements. Women’s day does not take away anything from men.  It’s not a slice of pizza.  Recognizing women doesn’t mean that fewer men can be acknowledged.  It just broadens the field and helps all of us see how many people contribute to the amazing developments that are taking place.  It is sad that when kids are told about women scientists, the list starts and ends with Marie Curie.  There are thousands of women who have been scientists, innovators, not to mention artists, journalists, etc.  It’s way past time that we think of acknowledging accomplishments as a competition and if we recognize one person then all others are seen as inferior.  There will be winners and losers for, e.g., the Nobel prize, but otherwise it’s good for us to keep in mind that there are many brilliant men and women who deserve recognition, and today in particular, we acknowledge women.

I have to pay attention to a small black dog now. He says he’s been ignored long enough!  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!