Good Friday

Hot cross buns, one a penny, two a penny, if you have no daughters, give ‘em to your sons… My “brother” made a batch and tormented me with photos!  It’s been a lovely mild, windy few days — and it will be a bad year for crops as there was no rain (or snow) today!  Jerry is in major cuddling mode, and was slapping my face with his paw because I wasn’t rubbing his tummy enough this morning.  Don’s doing pretty well, although he had trouble sleeping last night.  The TV woke me up at 3am as he seemed to be having an argument with voice assist… Very annoying recording that just wouldn’t go away!  He finally sorted it out, which was a relief, around 4am.

I slept well, other than the hour and a bit that the voiceover was announcing loudly everything on screen.  Today I didn’t have the energy to make some of the things I wanted to eat, but I had some salmon and macaroni and cheese for lunch.  I will see if I can get the energy to make what I want to eat, as I know that’s something I’d enjoy.  Ah, my freezer will get some bags of stuff!

Today is quiet.  Most stores are closed, services are delayed and it’s been peaceful.  I remember that as a child Sundays were designated as “rest days” where stores and restaurants were closed, and there was an expectation that people would be with their families.  Stores closed early on Saturdays and Wednesdays so staff were off for those half days.  When I worked at the Canadian High Commission, the officers commented how “backward” it was that there were so few places open on a Sunday or a holiday.  They were looking for finding places to go instead of being at home.  Lots of locals would invite them over for Sunday lunch (always a big deal) or to join them for beach runs or other typical family activities.  It’s not like that any longer; Sunday is as much a business day as any other.  I’m not certain that it’s a good thing overall, although I realize that my opinion is irrelevant.  

This afternoon, I’d traditionally be at the service for the “meditation of the last words” and heading home before returning the next day to polish the candlesticks (as a teenager) or to help with putting flowers on the altar or whatever else was needed.  But today, the altar has been stripped, there are no ornaments, and the focus remains on the emptiness (and the eternal flame)  Good Friday is the worst time in your life, when nothing has any meaning, life is empty and it seems that all good has left the world.  Fr Leo used to encourage us to “rest in the tomb” and accept the sadness so we’re able to join in rejoicing on Sunday morning.  We have a tendency to want to skip the pain and sadness in life, but by suffering (from the Latin for “to allow”) we enter fully into it, and therefore can welcome the happiness of life.

My support worker (temp) was here today… which leads me to a question:  what’s an appropriate time to call someone at night?  This would be someone you don’t know, to set an appointment time.  I ask, because the young man assigned to me today called last night at 10:30!!!! The call woke me up, so I was not particularly cheerful.  I then wondered if it’s just me, or if 10:30pm is too late to call someone you don’t know.  Thoughts?  Good night!






Comments

  1. 10pm is my cut off. Learnt that from the Nova Scotia noise bylaw which says no loud noise after that time. At least that was in early 2000s

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!