Padraig

The mild days took a break today; it’s been raining off and on, and it’s been around 5C all day, so it’s cooler than it has been for about a week.  We were warned, and there’s more of a cool down coming over the next day or two as it’s been frigid out west so it’s making its way over here.  As long as the snow is light, we’re all good!  Jerry just left my lap to sprawl on the sofa, after a good long while of being here and staring into my eyes and patting my tummy for a while.  He ate at me for a bit, crunching his kibble on my feet, then giving me a side eye as he ran off for another mouthful.  Little clown!  Don is good; he watched his games for a bit, recorded some more to watch overnight, and is now bingeing a new police procedural set in Canada, which looks interesting to say the least.  

I slept like a log last night, and woke up precisely once at 6:45am then back to sleep for a couple more hours.  I feel a little sluggish today, but otherwise fine.  I did eat a few things (macaroni pie, stewed chicken and pigeon peas… running low on that now!) and although I’m looking forward to getting some sleep, I’m not drained, which is excellent.

It’s the feast of St Patrick, and apparently everyone’s Irish today.  I am not a fan of green beer (🤢) nor of dyed green anything, even though I appreciate Irish culture, and green beer isn’t that!  The thing is, though, that as popular as this celebration is, it’s still part of Lent, so those who observe still have to maintain their fast (not today, as Sundays are exempted from the fast) and the “break” in Lent, where the rules are lifted, is in 2 days for the feast of St. Joseph.  We’ll talk about him then.  St Patrick has a lot of legends about him, beginning with driving the snakes out of Ireland, bringing Christianity to the Roman occupied island, making the shamrock a special symbol and so on. I’m fascinated by the way that so many apparently religious celebrations are bacchanalian in their execution — have you noticed?  If not strictly bacchanalian, certainly excessive and hugely profit driven.  If they can’t be turned into something cutesy or commercial, they’re largely ignored… Sad, isn’t it?

I should go sort out dinner, and get back to my reading.  I’m having a lovely time reading all sorts of material lately, and it keeps me out of trouble.  Beannachtai na failte Padraig!  Good night!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!