Lenten pause

It’s been a temporary return to the freezer; the temperature hasn’t crossed 0 in about 3 days!  There was snow forecast, but it seems to have stayed east over the St. Lawrence and avoided Ottawa, not that I’m complaining.  I’m back in blankets and sweaters, and Jerry is stealing all the throws that he can pull off anyone.  He’s been good at standing on my lap and blocking my view of the TV, or sitting on my iPad so I can’t use it… very clever moves!  Don is good, and is moving comparatively easily for him.  He’s also got the order for his chest X-ray so that’s happening.  Can you hear my sigh of relief?

Yesterday was more unsettled than I’d like.  I had an allergic reaction to something, I don’t know what, and was up for several hours coughing and sneezing until the allergy meds FINALLY kicked in and I fell asleep around 3am.  Then I was talking with my regular support worker, who’d been ill for a few days, and finally I made her get an ambulance so she’s currently in hospital getting treated.  It seems that she’s had a migraine for a WEEK and hadn’t been able to keep anything down… she’s more settled now, and getting better; she’ll be there for a few days.  Last night I had a surprising amount of pain — I’ve been pain free for ages now, so that was unusual.  My dear friend got me some groceries (while complaining that I didn’t get very much, so I’ve got to do a “proper” list so I’ll have food!) since I’ve got some refills on things that had run low.

So an apology… I owe several people letters, as I have unanswered mail here.  Before beginning to laugh (I know some people are rolling their eyes at the outdated approach) it’s something I enjoy doing, and it’s wonderful to receive actual paper mail that is not a bill, but which is hand written and pleasant.  I know that we could email instantly, or text or IM, but there’s something about ink on paper that feels special.  My elder niece and several friends will tell you that any time I travelled I’d send a postcard — which either arrived weeks after my return home or never made it at all — as a memento.  In fact, Don has a collection of my cards over the years as I’d always send him one when I was away, even if it was from Trinidad and we’d been talking every day.  Jo mentioned in an interview that she did some years ago that she looks forward to receiving Christmas cards from me, as I’m probably the only person who still does that.  In clearing out some papers the other day, I found a note from Aunt Lucille, who died in the early 2000’s and just seeing her handwriting brought back memories of her laugh and smile.  I also found one from my mother, which said that she had a new pen and was trying it out, so I got a letter LOL 😂  I’ve got a few from her, but not many, as we’d more often talk on the phone.  Anyway, back to the people whose letters I haven’t answered… I haven’t forgotten, I’ve just lacked energy and all too often I’ve intended to do something and been distracted.  I will get to writing soon, and the all-important mailing of said letters, as they often languish on my table waiting to connect with the post box!

I’m not 100% sure of dinner yet, but it will be sorted out soon.  I did, after all, get a supply of food today, even if it’s “not a proper grocery list”  (it was about 8 items, just to fill in until I could work up a real inventory of my pantry.)  I’m very thankful that my friend doesn’t listen when I say things like, “I’m ok, I don’t need anything” and just says “send me your list and I’ll get food for you; you need to eat.”  We have disagreements on whether I’m taking proper care of myself, but I know that my friend is really concerned about my wellbeing.  Meanwhile, the tiny dictator is scratching at my arm to get up on my lap, so I’d better be off!  Good night!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!