Gens una Sumus

I got a message this morning that I'd ended yesterday's blog on a cliff. What happened was that I had written my entry as I usually do while staying awake for my 11PM meds. I usually write for an hour or so, then proof-read the handwriting to type conversion (I really enjoy the Apple Pencil!) and set it to post automatically at 00:01 so I don't need to stay awake. Anyway, I must have started the thought, and I fell asleep! Don woke me up, but he was laughing at the fact that I couldn't keep my eyes open. The good news is that I'm getting more sleep. The ongoing challenge is that I doze off at some less than ideal moments!

Today was decent overall. I had a few moments of a sore back, so I napped a little. My medical team advises that in my current circumstances, I may sleep when I feel the need. Once I have regulated my sleep they would prefer that I don't nap in the afternoon, but right now any sleep will do.  (To paraphrase a song from "Dreamcoat") I can fall into a doze quickly, but getting full, restful sleep is more difficult. Partly it's because I can't get fully comfortable. My back persists in aching, so a restful position is problematic. I also am not a back sleeper, but I can't be on my side. just now, so that adds to It. And Jerry, who must sleep touching his humans, often plunks himself on my tummy so that adds a bit to my discomfiture. 🙄  I've arranged an appointment with a massage therapist to try to treat my shoulder. Here's hoping that we can make progress and reduce some of the pain.

I've added a picture of my crochet project. It's my first attempt at a cardigan; the pattern says that it's supposed to be easy, the pictures are certainly pretty. I like the design so far, and I really love the yarn colour and feel. I'm hoping to finish it so I can use it this summer- it's intended as a light cover piece for cooler summer evening. we shall see. I have about 40 more potential projects, but I'm trying to be disciplined enough to finish this one before I move on to the next few.

My grandmother had taught me to crochet when I was about 8 or 9.  She gave me some magazines that she had dd, all from the 1930s and 1940s which I used to get ideas for items (doilies were very popular items!) so I learned to read and follow the patterns, while she taught me some Irish crochet, mainly making the pieces with roses / flowers and leaves.  The magazines were precious, mostly because they were expensive and hard to find, but now,  there are thousands of hours of video on YouTube that cover stitches, techniques and patterns. Plus so many websites that cover free (and paid, too) patterns and some very creative uses of colours and stitches. I never did learn to work thread crochet- it was too fine and fiddly for me, but she had done some lovely lace pieces (which were mostly donated an altar cloths) that I can't emulate. 

I've made a few blankets and tablecloths; tried making toys, purses, beach bag, market beep, scarves... Now I'm tying a cardigan. I've reached out to my cousin, the seamstress, to pick her brains on shaping and fit, although the several thousand kilometres separating us make that an interesting conversation! She did walk me through lining my purse, so our collaboration did work! I'm so pleased that she was able and willing to help me; I'm always so proud of her accomplishments! Before I moved to Canada she made all my clothes after my grandmother stopped. Between us, I had built a lovely individual wardrobe, both professional and party. It was a bit of a shock buying clothes instead of making them, mostly because I could never find any clothes that fit me! Clothes shopping was traumatic! Then in Canada where seamstresses were scarce, there were retail stores that provided "plus-size" clothing, and I was able to be dressed off the rack! That's where, almost 20 years ago, I first met my #EFIR, who is now one of my dearest friends. Amazing, isn't it, how we can meet people who will have massive impacts on our lives with no idea that this will happen? She transformed my sense of style a lot- I used to, like many larger women, tend towards dark, loose clothing to hide behind. My EFIR got me into colours, bright ones! and into skirts and dresses. So much so that these days I mostly wear dresses. Many of my items came from one store but more recently, I started to explore other locations. I haven't been shopping with my #EFIR in about 4 years, because I haven't been working, so my wardrobe needs are severely reduced.

Back to my inaugural cardigan - we will go in search of a cute and comfortable outfit to accompany it - and hide my prodigious twisted spine. I may be overreacting to it but I am not reconciled to my looks.

I'm happy to realize and recognize that there are so many threads linking my life-from Trinidad to Canada and back. My grandmother, who was a loving, wonderful woman, has always been one of my role models. I often wonder what she would think of me now? She wanted me to learn to make my own clothes, but I never was inclined that way. This is the closest that I have come to that! She did, at least, teach me how to do minor repairs-Sewing hems, buttons, torn seams, etc - but not garment construction which is where my cousin comes in. Granny was delighted when Lams took over my dress making needs. (As was 1) we're close in age so I had fewer disputes over style. Even though she no longer makes my clothes, I still manage to see my cousin on my trips home.. She's also been doing other creative projects, like jewelry-making and beadwork, which I think is awesome, given her struggles with fibromyalgia.

Have I mentioned how much I miss being able to visit Trinidad? It's now been 2 years since I was last there, and I really miss seeing my family and friends. The technology is amazing, and I've video-called almost everyone I know, but it's not the same as face-to-face and hugs!  I’m sure that it will get better soon and I’m planning to visit the family in January, by which time we should have a good handle on the pandemic — and should have a better sense of their coverage.  In any case, it won’t be immediately as the borders are still not fully open, and there are other issues that need to be addressed anyway.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!