fortes in fide

Hmm... after a few nights of solid sleep, last night I had a very broken night. I finally feel asleep around 5am for 4 hours, and had to get up because Jerry wanted to get going. <sigh> Surprisingly, I didn't fall asleep on myself until the early evening, when I realized that I was falling out of my chair! Nothing to worry about; I woke myself up and made a cup of tea. It will be an early night tonight-for all of us! The boys are both saving logs on the sofa, so we'll all benefit from retiring early.

It is brutally cold today. It only made it to -18°C from an overnight low of -36°C. That was definite "stay at home and keep warm" weather. It's miserably cold, but it's a beautifully sunny day. It would've been lovely if it were a bit warmer. I admit that going outside in these temperatures does not appeal to me. Never has, and as I get older, the appeal falls even further! This is when I'm normally in the Caribbean with my family. It's the third year that I am missing that, and I really think it's adding to my challenges. There's only so much visualization that I can do and I need some reality!

I dove into the books Peyton Place and Return to Peyton Place over the last couple of days. I'd forgotten how gripping they were. The story is still fascinating 60 years later- and I can understand how it was so popular when it was first published. By current standards, the sex scenes are tame, but the plot remains interesting. Some elements are outdated-the reactions to abortion and extra- marital see, for instance. I find that some classic books remain fascinating. I think it's partly due to seeing a small slice of society at that time. For instance, from reading a children's series,  I learned that Western nations were aware of the atrocities of Nazi Germany before war broke out in 1939. The sense of dread and tension that permeated Central Europe was clear-so it obviously wasn't a complete surprise when the camps were exposed. Collective wilful ignorance is a human failing. I'm now starting a new book lent by a friend, so I'll let you know what I think.

Bed-and my book- call- Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!