tuebor

 

I woke up in more pain this morning than I've had for a few days. Most distressing. No idea of the cause, and I've been resting as much as possible in hope of easing the pain. Not really successful, unfortunately, nor have the meds been useful. My little lap cushion (small, black and furry) has been a special comfort to me, as he's just snuggled up for hugs. I'm a weekend sports widow, as there are seemingly-unending games on beginning (it feels) early in the morning and going on and on... I have, though, decided to stream movies and shown to get past the games and to ignore the -30C weather. I've definitely become a wimp, as I can not be persuaded to go out in that cold! Anyone who wants to freeze can go ahead-without me!

I am asking this of the wrong group, I know, but I'm sure that your collective, awesome powers can help me understand this issue. Why do people think that it's appropriate to send threats to those with whom they disagree? You know what I mean-just read the comments section under any article that presents a different view point. The comments often start with sarcasm or anger, then progress into ad hominem attacks, then overt threats. I can understand anger, but the downhill progression is often rapid and always senseless. If you disagree, and are strongly enough moved, say so and scroll on! There is absolutely no need to question the author's parentage or recommend self-abuse. I do know people who like to instigate arguments by making inflammatory comments, but they stay away from death and mutilation threats.

I was reading an article that was talking about eliminating student debt. A fairly innocuous subject, right? Apparently wrong! Beginning with the overused "communist" label, students were castigated as lazy, entitled and stupid for taking on debt. The discussion on the lasting effects of this debt then deteriorated into name- calling and one writer suggested organ harvesting the students to offset their debt... That was, IMO, disgusting and unnecessary. If, instead, the topic was sexual abuse, or race-based hatred or political, the attacks are more virulent and much faster! To my shock, they even exist in discussions of TV shows and movies, where battle lines are drawn hard and fast and names (and memes) proliferate with brutality. Why? What could anyone hope to gain from these kinds of attacks? And what about the effect on the person on the receiving end? It's not-it cannot be-worth destroying someone just because you disagree with them. And I'm nor even (yet) talking about the horrible individuals who dox their "opponents." There are very, very few cases where publishing personal information can be justified-in fact, I can't think of any- and none when it's done to encourage abuse and harassment!

I know that you'll point me to the cases that were resolved because of public pressure. I agree that creating and maintaining awareness of seeming lapses in law enforcement is a good and worthwhile cause But not the publication of personal information of law enforcement officials. The official- i.e. work info- is in the public domain and can be a fairer target. Don't you agree?

I've talked myself into a loop. This is a part of the darkness of the human psyche that is closed to my comprehension. I'll stop here and head off to sleep. Night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!